Need Help with 1999 Yamaha Waverunner GP 800cc

I have a 1999 yamaha waverunner gp 800cc.
    I bought it last year and it had a problem starting on its own. It would start right up when being jumped by a jumpbox, but can't start up by itself. I've tried replacing the battery and it didn't change anything.
    It also ran a little rough and the rpm's would often fluctuate and slightly jerk the bike even when you kept the throttle at a steady position. It feels as if the bike can not get up to the speed or rpm's that it is capable of.

Well, when I went to start the yamaha 2 days ago, I jumped the battery and it started right up and ran exactly like it did at the end of last season. I shut the bike down and everything seemed to be the same since last year. However, when I tried to start the engine again, I just got a clunk sound and nothing happens, even when using a jumpbox on the battery. It seems as if the engine has seized but I had ran the bike perfectly fine about 40 minutes prior to testing it again. Could the engine actually have seized even though it had started earlier that day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by hockeyplayapete; 05-26-2010 at 08:22 PM.

bump..can anybody help me?

Long Island
    I was having a similar problem with my 97 gp1200, it would crank over i would let it sit then it would just make the thumping noise when i tried to start it again. It turned out to be a bad ground. I ran a direct ground from the battery to the cdi mounting bolt on the bulkhead and have not had the problem since. you can test it first with a thick test lead before you make a permanent lead. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Agreed, sounds like a bad ground...Bad grounds can do some mysterious things when it comes electronics, like the bad running your having. If it's not the ground then check the power wires, should check all the connections anyway....If you know how to use a DMM...use an ohmeter and start ohming out all the cables and connections and you'll see if it's getting a good path or not

Thread Information