Thread: 2001 Virage ???

2001 Virage ???

Are all 3 seater Virage's fuel injected?? What size motors do they run? What top speeds can be expected??

I may be stealing a 2001 3 seater, one for sale very close for next to nothing. Seller claims its running rough above idle, like a possable fuel pump/regulator prob. What other common issues does the Virage have??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Virage come in carburetor and fuel injected, two and three cylinder versions (so four versions).

Three cylinder engines are about 135HP, top speed just over 60mph. Twin cylinder are 100HP, and run mid-50's.

More info- It is a Virage 700 95hp. Is it worth $500 in non running condition and no trailer. From what info I got, it sounds like a good carb cleaning is all it needs. Owner claims it only did 42mph when running good, does that sound right?

Another question, is it better in rough water that a 1995 750 SLT?

I'm thinking about selling the 750 SLT to get the virage, what do most of you think of that. How many would prefer a Virage 700 over a 750 SLT?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jsl750&slt750 View Post
    ...Virage 700 95hp.

...From what info I got, it sounds like a good carb cleaning is all it needs. Owner claims it only did 42mph when running good, does that sound right?

Another question, is it better in rough water that a 1995 750 SLT?

I'm thinking about selling the 750 SLT to get the Virage, what do most of you think of that. How many would prefer a Virage 700 over a 750 SLT?
    The Virage hull is a direct evolution of the SLT hull.

I have several Virage. It is OK in medium-rough water, but it is still a fairly flat hull underneath, so the ride is not as smooth as the deeper V hull, like the MSX hull.

I like the modern appearance of the Virage, the larger MFI display, and the comfortable seat (even though I stand up much of the time).

42mph sounds low for a two cylinder Virage

Do you have any information regarding the internal health of that engine?
    Cylinder compression?

I do not know if the compression is up to specs or if the spedo tube or sensor is plugged. I will do a compression check before I hand over any cash. So you are saying the Virage does handle rough water better than the SLT? Is $500 fair not running no trailer? I'm thinkin more like 3-$400 depending on compression.

+1
    I never look at the speedometer when evaluating engine power. Engine RPM at full throttle, on the water, is the important number.

Somewhere around 6800RPM for a healthy fuel injected engine, give or take.

The built-in digital speedometer is only an approximation. If you need to know exact speeds, carry a GPS unit and monitor the indicated speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I never look at the speedometer when evaluating engine power. Engine RPM at full throttle, on the water, is the important number.

Somewhere around 6800RPM for a healthy fuel injected engine, give or take.

The built-in digital speedometer is only an approximation. If you need to know exact speeds, carry a GPS unit and monitor the indicated speeds.
    I really don't care about speed I want to hear from anyone who has owned or ridden both the Virage 700 and a 750 SLT.

My MAIN MAIN MAIN question is if the Virage will handle rough water better than the SLT. That would be the only reason I would get the Virage. I want a ski that will give a decent ride when there are 1'-3' boat wake swells all over the lake.

Last weekend here on Havasu there where so many 30'+ drug-runner boats on the water I could not get my 750 SLT over 3500 rpm without bouncing like a fukin cork and cavitating every 15'.

+1
    ...My MAIN MAIN MAIN question is if the Virage will handle rough water better than the SLT. That would be the only reason I would get the Virage. I want a ski that will give a decent ride when there are 1'-3' boat wake swells all over the lake.

Last weekend here on Havasu there where so many 30'+ drug-runner boats on the water I could not get my 750 SLT over 3500 rpm without bouncing like a fukin cork and cavitating every 15'.
    Do you have an aftermarket intake grate on the SLT?

I use an R&D 650 intake grate on my Virage, and it helps maintain pump hook up in rough water. The 750SL R&D intake grate is even better in this regard.

I have not spent any time on an SLT, so I cannot directly compare them for you.

I often ride my Virage TXi in water with more than 1 foot of chop, and it does fine. Not as smooth as my MSX, but I can definitely keep up with the MSX.

If you really want to smooth out the ride, then the MSX hull is a better choice.

I haven't tried an aftermarket intake grate. I may try that first.

Havasu is full of large speed boats and very often the swells from 100's of big boats can make 3' swells that come from all directions.

I also have a 750 SL and most weekends this time of year it is simply not rideable. I even have an ocean pro plate and grate

+1
    I haven't tried an aftermarket intake grate. I may try that first.

Havasu is full of large speed boats and very often the swells from 100's of big boats can make 3' swells that come from all directions.

I also have a 750 SL and most weekends this time of year it is simply not rideable. I even have an ocean pro plate and grate
    Would that be the long O or shorter R (Race) version of the Ocean Pro ride plate?

Do you ride standing up or sitting down when the water is rough?

Thread Information