Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

The Freak of Nature

So I guess I will let the cat out of the bag. Last November 2009 I had the opportunity to purchase my dream ski. I actually had plans to buy the ski after the first time I ever rode it in 2007 but had to put everything on hold due to losing our home to hurricane Ike in 2008 and having to rebuild. After keeping Jerry on ice for what seemed like forever he finally gave me the chance that I had been waiting for so I pulled the trigger. I chose to keep this quite because I really didn’t know how long it would take me to finish the project with intentions of inspecting every single nut and bolt from top to bottom and replace/rebuild everything that needed attention. I also wanted to improve on a few items that anyone who has run a turbo has found not adequate to the type of power that these machines put out. I started by taking everything apart and giving it a good bath then sending the turbo out to be inspected/rebuilt and freshened up. The motor which was tighter than a frog’s ass got dismantled for inspection, tolerances, and new gaskets. I spent more time than I wanted making repairs to a leaky J-Pipe which will be replaced after the Bug. This by far is the weakest link on a turbo setup besides all of the heat that the system puts out. I went with all new flanges on the entire turbo and waste gate setup and also have a custom piece that will be added to raise the waste gate into a better position and out of the bottom of the hull whenever I make the J-Pipe change out. I was able to fabricate a turbo support bracket that works well to support the weight of the turbo setup. Richard (WFO) fabricated some other custom support brackets for the throttle body, intake piping, oil return line, and all of the vacuum/boost lines. Richard also custom wired all of the electrical power connections with a fuse block wiring system in the front of the ski that is some of the most beautiful work that I have seen in a long time. All hoses were replaced with mostly stainless steel braided hose along with a brand new intercooler welded up to the manifold. Every silicone coupler was replaced along with the trim tab and ride plate brackets. Every single stainless worm gear and T-Bolt clamp was replaced. I replaced the HO pump and every nut and bolt that was on the ski is new now. I also decided to install 6 new gauges in the cowlings with the help of my good friend Chad Lough. Although the IGNI Power ignition that I am running reads a lot of the info, I though it would give it a different look and also create a backup to monitor the engine vitals. The six that I added read tunnel pressure, water temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature, and turbo boost. I am also running the E-Boost 2 electronic turbo controller. I could go on forever about the upgrades and work that I chose to do to make the ski what I wanted, but I will stop boring everyone with all of that info. The fact is I had an awesome platform from Jerry to start with.
    As I mentioned in the beginning I always wanted this ski from the first time that I rode it. I spent a couple of weekends in Morgan City jockeying this ski 2 years ago and I have been in love with it ever since.
    Well I have written too much already but I would like to thank everyone who knew and kept quite until I was ready to let the cat out of the bag. I also want to thank the following people in no specific order for all of the assistance that went into this rebuild.
    * ATP Turbo for excellent service and parts availability.
    * Aneil at Forced Performance Inc.
    * Precision Turbo (Everyone there is excellent and professional to deal with.)
    * Murrillo Motor sports.
    * Rick Chance of Autobody Excellence in Texas
    * Ruben Reynoso at ATM Machine Works in Texas
    * Cometic Gasket
    A special thanks goes to my perfectionist welding buddy Tom Brannon of Groves Texas for answering the phone and striking an arc every time I needed at the drop of a hat.
    I would also like to thank the following forum members:
    * Bruce at Riva for getting the item that I desperately needed in my hands fast.
    * Nils for the fist size monster port job that sucks more air than Fullboogie blows on a Saturday night in the back seat of his slow ass mustang. (God I love you David).
    * Danny Udell for the J-Pipe bellows repair work that is top notch.
    * Oside Bill for the secrete package.
    * Kirk Leblanc for the wedgie.
    * Dan (JD1) Okeefe at Jet Draft for you know what! I may not beat you in a drag but you won’t have to look back for me…LOL
    * Malvin Quinones of Turbo Tech Puerto Rico for the awesome cell phone support when Jerry and I were tuning on the water. When it comes to performance turbo set ups Malvin is the man hands down.

To close I would like to thank Mark (Hydrotoys) Clemons for being the genius that invented this wonderful creation that we all refer to as The GPRXP Conversion. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Mark brain storming and could not have completed my project with out him. Mark you said it the best bro, it was meant to go in that hull!
    Big thanks to my main man Richard Patterson of WFO Performance for sharing the unbelievable talent that you have been gifted with. Also thank you for all of your labor, leaving the shop open for me every time I needed and also the spare bed at your house more than once. I have seen you at your best and your worst but I still laugh myself to tears every time we are together. Thank you my brother!
    Jerry my hat is off to you for providing such an awesome place for all of us to enjoy our passion. I want to thank you for being a man of your word and making my dream of owning The Freak of Nature come true. You my friend are a humble man and deserve all of the wonderful things that you have worked hard for. Crissy and I have enjoyed all of the times that we have spent with you, Carrie, TJ, and Sadie and look forward to many more with all you crazy ass peeps from A-Town…

PS: I want to renew my wedding vows at the boat ramp on Bayou Boeuf where Carrie was baptized. Make it happen bro!!!

Introducing the reincarnation of “The Green Hulk” turbo conversion.

The Freak Of Nature GPRXP!

Enjoy the Pictures guys…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00511.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	189244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00512.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	189245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Freak of Nature (Turbo Reincarnation) 008.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	189246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Freak of Nature (Turbo Reincarnation) 009.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	189247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Stage part 2 001.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	189248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Stage part 2 003.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	189249  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Stage part 2 006.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	189250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Stage part 2 013.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	189251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misc. pictures 010.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	189252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Stage part 2 007.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	189253  

+1
    More...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd attempt for start up 017.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	189254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd attempt for start up 018.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	189255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd attempt for start up 025.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	189256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd attempt for start up 026.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	189257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd attempt for start up 028.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	189258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd attempt for start up 030.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	189259  

+1

I've been wondering what happened to this ski. Congrats man! That thing is clean as hell. I think it could use a few more gauges though, it still looks stock!

Any new numbers yet?

+1
    nice i thought it was sold .... but didnt know who purchased it
    congrats any new numbers from this weapon?

Banned User
    +1
    You're welcome bro, we'll talk more at Bug Looks GOOD! You stole my paint job for mine!

+1
    Awesome looking ski bro. I'm glad this ski found it's way to you. You deserve it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan K View Post
    I've been wondering what happened to this ski. Congrats man! That thing is clean as hell. I think it could use a few more gauges though, it still looks stock!

Any new numbers yet?
    Thanks Bryan.. I was thinking about maybe a couple more gauges...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    nice i thought it was sold .... but didnt know who purchased it
    congrats any new numbers from this weapon?
    Thanks Robert..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    Awesome looking ski bro. I'm glad this ski found it's way to you. You deserve it.
    Thank you Kirk, it has been a humbling last 2 years.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information