SC Clutch Failure Sreen?

After reading several posts of people talking about their SC clutches comming apart and contaminating their motors I am begining to get a little nervous. I have a stock 05 and from what I uderstand 05s have ceremic disks. Isn't there some kind of screen that could be inserted or welded in to prevent fragments from getting into the engine, should the disks come apart? How small are these fragments?

It's one thing to have to remove the SC and replace the clutch, and quite another to have to pull the engine apart to clean it and replace oil pumps. It seems absurd to have to do that much work beacuse of a SC clutch failure. There has to be a way to protect the motor from ceramic debris. Or perhaps the best thing to do is get rid of the ceramic disks and replace them with something that is less friable when it fails.

+1
    Unfortunately there is no way to get a screen under the clutch to catch ceramic debris. There are screens in place to protect both oil pumps, but even then tiny particles get thru and trash the pumps if you continue to run your ski with the debris in it.

It sucks!!

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's a good reason to try and make the belt drive SC work. If you compare the belt drive install cost to the cost of an one engine rebuild and new oil pumps, I bet the belt driven install cost begins to look better, not to mention just changing a pulley to change boost. Plus reduced chance of unplanned downtime.

By the way on some turbo cars I've worked on there is a waste gate. The waste gate regulates boost. The turbo itself is capable of say 12-14 lbs. of boost but the waste gate can be adjusted to maintain 8,10 or anywhere up to 14. With a belt driven SC a pulley could be used that allows the SC to produce more boost than desired, and the waste gate could be set to maintain the desired boost. In fact one person I know had an adjustable waste gate, which would allow boost adjustment from the drivers seat. I know waste gates work for turbos, but not sure about SCs.

+1
    Yes waste gates are on charger vehicles also or commonly known as a blow off valve.

I really don`t see how a belt driven charger would work even with a minimal amount of spacing to make belt length minimal. The belt would have to be so tight so it wouldn`t fly off that it would destroy bearings and pulleys. At least the way and conditions I ride in.

+1
    HOSS, just wait till you see this belt driven system that is coming later this year

Thread Information