Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 raider 1100 no spark on #3

Going crazy over this. Cant seem to find the problem. I put in a new coil, caps, plugs. No go. I ohmed the pulser, charge and lightning coils and they were fine. Seems to me it must be the cdi but how can i check it? I wish i had a good used one i could try but i dont. Any suggestions out there. Thanks Philski

+1
    Did you unscrew the cap from the plug wire.
    Plug wire might need trimed back a 1/2 "

Yes i did cut the wires back. I decided to take the flywheel cover off to see if i could see anything in there. There was a ton of grease all over the place that i put in there through the grease fitting. Im going to take the cover out of there and clean it up to see if all wires are ok. How much grease should be in there and where does it go. Does it go on the small gear? Probably not on the fly wheel. thanks Philski

+1
    Swap the lead wire to coil from CDI and see if you get spark then "WINK"

M

i tried swapping the wires. I ended up getting no spark on #2 or #3 Not sure why. When i reversed it to original position i once again got no spark on #3

+1
    I would check coil grounds, CDI ground wires etc. You could have a CDI that's on the verge of crapping out.

M

would it be ok to spray some brake cleaner on the stator and pulser coils to get the grease out of there. It's a mess but i dont want to ruin anything. What do you think?

I had to cut my plug cable almost 5" off due to and internal break. Measure the resistance from the ignition coil to the end of the spark plug cap. I will inform you of the ohm values (guessing 2k) when i get home but it should not be open.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

I had an odd one last season

the flywheel had rubbed thru a wire on the harness inside the stator cover that wasn't tucked correctly when the triggers were replaced. Carful process of elimination should point to the culprit since you're getting spark on the other two..and a static test will not always point to the problem. try switching the trigger coil leads around..keep carful notes..you should find the culprit in an hour or two.

Quote Originally Posted by spham View Post
    I had to cut my plug cable almost 5" off due to and internal break. Measure the resistance from the ignition coil to the end of the spark plug cap. I will inform you of the ohm values (guessing 2k) when i get home but it should not be open.
    Values are in ohm
    Spark plug cap: 4k to 6k
    Ignition coil (blk/wht & blk wire): 0.18 to 0.24
    Ignition coil (blk/wht wire) to the end of the spark plug cable (not including the spark plug cap): 2.7k to 4.1k

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information