Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04 777 virage basket case

I bought this ski with the engine out & blown. Taking it apart I see rear cyl was starved of oil. I've got all the parts ordered - crank piston etc. Q - should I investigate oil problem or block & mix oil with fuel?
    I need some help on building the engine - What gets thread sealer? What gets silicone? what gets gasket spray? The flywheel came off hard - does that get sealer?
    thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The oil injection system tends to be reliable, if it is maintained.

Since only one cylinder was oil starved, my guess would be that the oil hose for that cylinder became loose, kinked, clogged, or possibly the oil injection nipple became clogged.

What condition was the other cylinder?

The oil injection nipples have an internal check valve. While you have the engine apart, verify that there is flow through the check valves. They take just a few PSI to open and allow flow. Oil injection flow rates are normally rather slow, so don't expect a huge flow through the oil nipple.

Is this a carburetor or fuel injected engine?

Check for dirt in the oil tank, or just clean it all out and use fresh 2-stroke oil. Use a new oil filter.

Click below for more useful info

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

oil injection

the 777 is a fuel injected ski and has 2 throttle bodies and you can't eliminate the oil injection.the 700 is a carbed ski but only has one carb which wouldn't just quit oiling one cylinder

There are 2 lines going to the case. The lines are good, I havn't checked the fitting into the case. The front piston / jug is in exceptionally good shape. Plenty of oil, even the crosshatch was quite visible. I suspect that cyl has been changed, as I also noticed different gasket silicone color on the 2 jugs. This ski has 80 hours on it, but the crosshatch should be gone by now! do you know what needs silicone gasket / spray & locktite?
    thanks

+1
    I have a 2002 Virage i here - same two cylinder 777cc fuel injected engine.

It does have four oil lines; One to the mag (front) and pto (rear) crank shaft bearings, and one to each throttle body.

Pay particular attention to the throttle body oil line and oil nipple feeding the damaged cylinder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3798.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	189506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3802.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	189507  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mainepilot View Post
    I bought this ski with the engine out & blown. Taking it apart I see rear cyl was starved of oil. I've got all the parts ordered - crank piston etc. Q - should I investigate oil problem or block & mix oil with fuel?
    I need some help on building the engine - What gets thread sealer? What gets silicone? what gets gasket spray? The flywheel came off hard - does that get sealer?
    thanks
    someone might have rolled the ski over at one time and got water in the cylinder. Most of the time it is the rear cylinder that gets wiped out due to was out from water. Post up some pictures. If you need any parts or need you cylinders bored and or honed give us a call. The link is below.

Another post said i must keep the oil injection working. You mentioned mixing oil in the gas. Can i block off the oil pump / lines etc, and mix gas? Does anyone know what bolts take sealer, what gaskets take silicone, what gaskets take spray?
    thanks

This may be the issue, as someone else took the other 2 lilnes off (I assume, as I have never seen the other 2 lines) Checking everything over and over, I see no evidence of water being in the crank, simply extremely dry - enough to burn up the rod bearing / brake the piston skirt / suck up debris to scar up the head some.

Thanks

+1
    Another post said i must keep the oil injection working.

You mentioned mixing oil in the gas.
    Can i block off the oil pump / lines etc, and mix gas?
    This may be the issue, as someone else took the other 2 lines off (I assume, as I have never seen the other 2 lines)

Checking everything over and over, I see no evidence of water being in the crank, simply extremely dry - enough to burn up the rod bearing / brake the piston skirt / suck up debris to scar up the head some...
    Fuel injected Polaris Ficht engines can NOT be converted to pre-mixed oil+fuel.

The oil injection system must remain in place, and fully operational.

Where do the four nipples on the oil pump connect to? Are they blocked off, or just sitting open and disconnected?

What about the oil nipples on the throttle bodies?

Is there oil mixed into the gasoline in the tank?

+1
    ...Does anyone know what bolts take sealer, what gaskets take silicone, what gaskets take spray?...
    Some engine builders install the cylinder base and head gaskets dry, others use a light coating of grease, or spray gasket sealant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information