Need help! 1996 Polaris 700 slt

I installed a ignition update kit #2873355 It has a yellow wire says for tac (no tac ) should this be hooked on board with other yellows?Allso has gray rev limiter wire where does it hook? Please some one who has installed this kit! thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KHVETTE View Post
    I installed a ignition update kit #2873355

It has a yellow wire says for tach (no tach) should this be hooked on board with other yellows?

Also has gray rev limiter wire where does it hook? Please some one who has installed this kit! thanks
    Yellow wire connects with other Yellow wires, but there is no Yellow wire connection to the CDI.

The LR module does have a Yellow wire

Gray RPM limiter wire wire connects to Tan terminal.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Yellow wire connects with other Yellow wires, but there is no Yellow wire connection to the CDI.

The LR module does have a Yellow wire

Gray RPM limiter wire wire connects to Tan terminal.
    Thanks a bunch you are a life saver!Will hook and try to start.Former owner shorted elect box to battery.Do you think regulator and LR modulator should be changed?Also what starts the bilge on the slt?sl has switch on handle bar slt doesnt

+1
    T...Former owner shorted elect box to battery.

Do you think regulator and LR modulator should be changed?

Also what starts the bilge on the slt?
    sl has switch on handle bar slt doesn't
    Does your 1996 SLT 700 have an electric bilge pump installed?

I don't think it came with one from the factory.

What wire color connections is it connected to?

Often the black ground wires to, and inside, the electrical box get fried when the electrical box shell shorts to the battery positive post.

Check every black wire, make sure they are all good, and actually measure zero ohms from end to end. Disconnect one end of each black wire while you measure it.

Make sure you check the black wire in the wire bundle that runs between the electrical box and the magneto stator (engine ground). You will need to disconnect the battery negative post wires (and separate them if there is more than one) for this test.

Also make sure that the insulating plastic cover is over the battery, if your model uses a battery cover between the battery and the electrical box.

Thanks again,yes it has a bilge pump I have 2 slts they both have them.They are hooked to black ground and black green to a 3 amp fuse.Former owner cut wire&took 1 out.I have 1 for a slt same wire hook up but it had switch on handle bar.slt looks like factory install.

What do you think about regulator and switch

+1
    Thanks again,yes it has a bilge pump I have 2 slts they both have them.
    They are hooked to black ground and black green to a 3 amp fuse.

I have 1 for a slt same wire hook up but it had switch on handle bar. slt looks like factory install.
    I am not entirely following which SLT is which, but there is no Black/Green wiring in a stock Polaris.

That means the bilge pump is an add-on. I presume it is directly wired to battery power through that 3 Amp fuse.

If there is no manual switch for the bilge pump, then it may be an automatic bilge pump which is turned on by a float switch.

The factory Polaris bilge pumps use an Orange/Black wire, which is powered through the Orange output of the LR module in the electrical box. 1997 and later models also have a bilge pump button on the handlebar.

Sorry my mistake,wire is orange black,must have green on my mind. I really appreciate your time and trouble.3 amp fuse is fed from orange goes through fuse comes out to pump on orange black .No switch in line.My second mistake was the extra pump came from sl not slt.I have 2 skis (96 700 slt )with pumps no switches at handle bars.Have 2 junked sl 700s with pumps, switches at handle bars.Sorry about the confusion

Thread Information