Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

SBT Starter Motor for 15F

Hey guys I was considering getting a new starter motor for my 15f that I am building, and I came across a new starter made by SBT, does anyone have any information on this starter

http://www.shopsbt.com/kawasaki-jet-...rs/39-213.html

they claim that its a higher torque starter and its roughly half the cost of a new OEM. the old one was pretty rusted up from the previous owner not cleaning it, and I dont want to have to pull the motor to replace it if it dies.

What do yall think? OEM rebuilt or New SBT or something else

Thanks

Sean

+1
    no one has any information?

Sean

if the starter is like their engines, I would stay away from it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

given the obvious lack of third party support

you have a couple of options

1-SBT starter
    2-rebuild current starter ( parts don't seem outrageous unless the armature is smoked, but even those can be rewound by a good starter shop)
    3-highly overpriced OEm starter

With the OEM starter topping $400, I'd be quick to jump on an SBT starter..even though some folks around here would like to see SBT go out of business.

I can't even find a cheapo chinese starter for that application..if you were in my shop, I'd advise the SBT starter..you could buy 2 or 3 of em for what the OEm unit costs, and it's obvious the OEm unit wasn't very well sealed

Don't believe the manuals, I was able to change a kaw starter with engine in hull when the manual clearly stated

Steps to remove starter:
    1-"remove engine"

..don't know about the 15f however..

f you have to pull the engine, it might be better to put an OEm starter in it depending on what is actually involved time wise to pull that motor.

For the record, I get my starters from another rebuilder in the midwest...he doesn't have 15f starters at the moment.

I dont want to see SBT go out of business. They are located 5 miles from me and business's fuel the local economy. However, when I have seen 4 engines bad within 10 to 20 hours of use in my friends gp800, that is not a good sign. The last one didnt even make it 20 minutes. And they have all been installed by Jims Performace so I know the install was done right.
    So when people ask about sbt, i will give them my experience with it and they can decide on their own.
    If its easy to get to then its worth the savings. I dont have any experience with their starters, they might be fine.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

If I had 4 engines go bad on a single job...

I'd be raising more then the titanic.

What did SBT say on the post mortems..just oops? Sorry for all that extras work there jim...here's a couple of calendars? or did they run into a bad batch of crank bearings or were their workers hitting the booze too much at lunchtime?

not that I want to turn this into another SBT debate, but 4 bad engines is pointing to something gone horridly wrong..or jim should be playing the lottery lots more since he's hitting the odds.

Sorry, but I took your comment in the wrong context, but you will agree that when SBT is mentioned, emotions run high.

In this case the self proclaimed village idiot doesn't have lots of options on replacements..maybe somebody will chime in with a vendor that does have these starters, I'd be stuck myself if I had somebody come in needing one.

+1
    its just the cases on it rusted and since I am going through the entire motor and fixing whats worn out or rusty or messed up I figured I would replace it while I have the motor out.

Sean

I agree with you, my friend had recieved a (stock) motor from SBT and 12 hrs. later motor was DONE! SBT was good about it and replaced the motor, he now has around 10 to 15 hrs on motor but still ??? who wants to constantly replace motors? I don't want to see anyone go out of business either, espicially with Today's economy, maybe thier starters are not so bad.. I hope it works for you.. I saw my friend go thrue some headaches, don't wish that for anyone. Take care

Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    I dont want to see SBT go out of business. They are located 5 miles from me and business's fuel the local economy. However, when I have seen 4 engines bad within 10 to 20 hours of use in my friends gp800, that is not a good sign. The last one didnt even make it 20 minutes. And they have all been installed by Jims Performace so I know the install was done right.
    So when people ask about sbt, i will give them my experience with it and they can decide on their own.
    If its easy to get to then its worth the savings. I dont have any experience with their starters, they might be fine.

+1
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...s&merchID=4005
    I have one on my superjet and my polaris...No problems.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    no one has any information?
    Sean
    Hey Sean. Before you buy a new one, take your starter to Houston Alternator in the Heights. They may be able to rebuild it for cheap. They have a couple of old timers that do nothing but rebuild starters and alternators. Pretty fast too. www.houstonalternator.com

-Boudin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information