Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would Really Appreciate Input on This

I really dont know much about jet ski's. Ok, I just sold my 2002 GTX because i wanted a 4 stroke, more reliable machine. So i'm looking at a 2003 GTX supercharged. But it has 226 hours on it. He's asking $3300 with a crappy trailer. Its about 3 hours away from where i live, so i havent seen it, but he's sent me alot of pictures. the outside looks pretty good, but the engine seems like it had corrosion under the yellow top cover where it says rotax.

Is 226 hours way too much. he doesnt know if the supercharger has ever been worked on to replace the washers.
    He says it starts right up, and runs awesome, but what should i be looking for......
    What would I be getting myself into.

Thank You, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0609.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	189475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0616.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	189476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0618.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	189477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0619.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	189478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0628.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	189479  

One more question. Does this ski use the water you are in to cool the engine, or does it have a closed loop cooling system?

Sorry if its a dumb question....

It has closed loop for the engine, but uses lake water for the exhaust. It all depends on your budget really...if you can afford another grand or so, you can get a lower hour, probable newer, machine. The supercharger should be rebuilt with immediately and I would check compression. There are some threads about how you can tell if the supercharger is shot by the play in it.

If that is right in your budget range, take a drive and look at it.

+1
    for about $1000 more you can get a lower hr 04-05 215hp rxt... IMO id save up the extra money and get a 215hp ski.

Well, i should've mention, that yeah, its right around my budget. I'm not to worried about the HP, unles the 215 is a better, more reliable engine. So roughly, how much would i be looking to spend to rebuild the supercharger?
    And what also worries me is the amount of hours on it, just seems like alot, but then again, I had a 2002 gtx with only 50 original hours on it, which i bought used, and everything started going out on it, I had to even replace the starter right before i sold it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff1229 View Post
    Well, i should've mention, that yeah, its right around my budget. I'm not to worried about the HP, unles the 215 is a better, more reliable engine. So roughly, how much would i be looking to spend to rebuild the supercharger?
    And what also worries me is the amount of hours on it, just seems like alot, but then again, I had a 2002 gtx with only 50 original hours on it, which i bought used, and everything started going out on it, I had to even replace the starter right before i sold it.

To me it look like it wasnt cleaned or maintained well after each ride. looks like a salt water ski. I have an 86 grew with over 2000hrs and the engine bay is cleaner then that ski. imo id wait a couple more month and save up a little more cash and buy a cleaner ski.

Banned User
    I would never buy anything that was used primarily in salt water, but thats just me, Im a spoiled canadian with nice clean fresh water lakes. Best bet is take that to a mechanic, check compression and supercharger, but that many hours and used in salt water you will get in to changing pump bearings, steering and throttle cables seizing up, electrical connectors failing..
    Good luck

Well, I really appreciate everyones opinions here, after all, you are the ones who know. I see exactly what you guys are saying, and thats what i didnt know, what i would be getting myself into. I also saw a 2004 yamaha fx140. but dont know much about them. Maybe this is not the right place to post this, since this is the seadoo side. They are asking 3900 for that one, it only has 75 hours on it, and an almost new trailer. I just really like the way the seadoo looks. Also, everyone I ask has mixed feelings about whats better and stuff like that. Like I said, im not too concerned with speed, I just want something thats reliable. He other thing is that I have to buy something soon, because i know that if i put the money away to save more, something will come up and make me spend it, because it happens to me 100% of the time. Plus I want something to do this summer...lol

Once Again, thanks for your replies, I really value everyones opinion on here, Thanks.

+1
    If speed isnt a big deal to you look for a 155hp 4-tec ski. all rotax 4tec motors are based off the same motor. I had the 155hp 4tec in my sportster 150. 150hrs which alot of though hrs were at WOT and still ran strong with 175psi in all 3 cyl. 155 will give good power and very reliable. OH and the 155hp doesnt have a supercharger, The supercharger need to be rebuilt at or befor 100hr depending how u ride. and when you ride salt water you still have to flush the ski after. lots of people think you dont have to because of the closed cooling. so be sure the guy selling flushed it after each use.

from the looks of it it seems to be heavily corroded. and if the top end of the engine is so corroded imagine what will be happening down under.enigine mounting as well seems awful!(close to SC, and SC itself, driveshaft corrosion etc..)

there are more to change in order to make it in a good shape. this seems to be very little or no maintained at all !! the engine will be ok with 225 hours. no problem there. but there are other things that it is best to buy a newer ski with at least a metal pump.

2003 GTX SC is a great ski with lot of power but the one in the pictures is way to awful for me !! and seems that it will be eating your money on repairs. best to hold on and put some more money together to get a better maintained ski. not necessarily newer but better maintained.

my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information