Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Locked Up? Oil Level?

I figured this would be good for the 4-tec forums because the motors are identical. We have a 2007 Challenger 230 with twin 215 SCIC rotax motors. Before go to put the boat in the water for the summer my dad says he charged the battery and both motors were a quart of oil low so he added some. I forgot to ask him how he checked it but it didnt even cross my mind. Both motors fired up on the trailer for a quick second (like 2 seconds maybe) just to make sure they would start when I launched it.

Got it in the water, started both motors... while backing out of the launch at idlei wasn't really paying attention because i was talking to someone else that was asking about the boat... I hear what would sound like sucking a stick or something into one of the impellers. I put it in forward and started down the channel. Look down and notice one of my tachs is on zero. Try to start the other motor again... Click... wont turn over.

Figuring something was stuck in the impelller i drive it to the lakehouse on one motor pull it into the hoist and look underneath it... nothing in the impeller... Check the oil. Both motors are overfull by a quart

My dad, who owns the boat never knew the correct way to check the oil. I know these motors dont like overful oil levels at all. What did I do to this thing, what fails being overful? and what are we looking at to get this thing fixed? Why wouldn't they both lock up?

Thanks guys.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

the 7 step program

step 1-get a bottle of your favorite alcoholic beverage
    step 2-get a plug wrench and a bucket of rags
    step 3-pull all the spark plugs, place rags over plugholes(ground plugcaps)
    step 4-pour a big fat drink
    step 5-try to crank engine
    step 6-if engine cranks and anything comes out of the plug holes ( oil/gas/water) swig your drink down in celebration
    step 7-if the engine goes click..repeat step 6 in the fact that one engine was still running to get you back to the dock.

being a quart over isn't going to make an engine go bang.

While you didn't mention the hours...my swag would be that you either had a massive supercharger failure ( pretty bad) a massive jetpump bearing failure (not all that bad) or some other type of engine failure(now that's going to be bad)

oh, and welcome to GH.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    step 1-get a bottle of your favorite alcoholic beverage
    step 2-get a plug wrench and a bucket of rags
    step 3-pull all the spark plugs, place rags over plugholes(ground plugcaps)
    step 4-pour a big fat drink
    step 5-try to crank engine
    step 6-if engine cranks and anything comes out of the plug holes ( oil/gas/water) swig your drink down in celebration
    step 7-if the engine goes click..repeat step 6 in the fact that one engine was still running to get you back to the dock.

being a quart over isn't going to make an engine go bang.

While you didn't mention the hours...my swag would be that you either had a massive supercharger failure ( pretty bad) a massive jetpump bearing failure (not all that bad) or some other type of engine failure(now that's going to be bad)

oh, and welcome to GH.
    +1, Pete

+1

SHS

Suddeny HydroLock Syndrome

I actualy had a guy pull in once that claimed his 4-tec ( a single ) ski boat suddenly hydrolocked...I gave it a quick once over and didn't see anything of note, except my bs detector was rining big time and I opted to advise him to go visit the local seadoo dealer, since there may "have been a service bulletin" I was not aware of and I would be doing him a disservice by taking his money since running on a hose my not disclose the problem.

I've learned the hard way that sometimes, it makes you more money by walking away from some jobs. Never heard back from him again, but this boat had low low hours and looked like trouble

I'm real curious as to what happened here with little or no warning. Of course with a twin engine 4-tec boat, you might not be able to hear death sounds as easily as you do on a ski

In the game of sudden engine death right after fire up, my money is on a dropped valve wedged to the point where the engine couldn't push the piston up any higher..any takers?

+1
    Supercharger washer problem?

Sorry, low hours, probably under 100 (only 3 seasons on it). I'm not near the boat now but i will pull the plugs. It turns about 1/8 of a revolution and then stops. I doubt it hydrolocked because it wasn't a sudden stall. It banged around for a quick second. I bet its supercharger failure. The boat isn't exactly babied (tubing etc) but never to the point the pumps come unhooked at all. It's only had sea-doo dino oil in it, changed every year.

I will pull the plugs tomorrow and limp it back on the trailer (its in the hoist now, i limped it to the camp back on one motor assuming it had something stuck in the impeller.) and hope for the best/

Like I said normally I listen to the motors closely off start up, a guy at the launch was asking me what motors were in my boat. (haha funny how things work)... I just assumed it was a stick or rock getting picked up by the motor and it kicked it out... Till i looked at the tach 2 mins later and noticed it on 0.

+1
    I would expect the boat to have the same supercharger washers as the jet skis.The ceramic washers can disintegrate at 1-2 hours. The problem was not corrected until 2008. If the engine will not crank that is a good place to look. Pull the SC inlet hose and try to rock the SC impeller back and forth. t should move slightly in either direcrion..If it does not budge then you have a problem with the SC drive shaft/ bearings/ceramic washers.

I hope that is not the case but I have been down that road. In my case the SC let loose while coasting to a stop from about 15 MPH.

+1

if it only turns

a little in either direction..looks like you're going to be swilling the booze for a bit.

hope for the best

hope for a pump failure

It's not because the motors were over filled. When the motor is over filled it pukes oil out the PCV system and gets all over the bottom of the hull.

Ask me how I know.

Well... Dropped it off at the dealer today... They said that washer failure wouldn't cause engine lockup, but it could if the washer fell into the cam gears right?

Should hear back from them in a week to determine what's wrong with the thing..

Ill keep you guys posted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information