97 & 99 XP Oil Change Problem *Please Help*

I changed my oil on my 97xp and 99xp with no problem, so I thought. I followed the instruction guides "thanks guys" and perfect. However when I took off my cones, the oil in the one(97xp), was stinky (which is good) and not alot at all and the (99xp) was really runny, and almost none. The one cone had a pinched gasket so I replaced it. Now I connected them and installed a new oring, however I have fun some oil on the bottom plate. The oil is not leaking from the cone oil, is there somewhere else the oil can leak from and if so, what should I do??? Help, I want to get this fixed before the season starts.

there is a seal behind the prop that can leak.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    check the O ring, and take your time resealing them, make sure they go down even, also sometimes the plug might leak, add some teflon tape.

dont fill it up all the way you must leave room for expansion

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    check the O ring, and take your time resealing them, make sure they go down even, also sometimes the plug might leak, add some teflon tape.

dont fill it up all the way you must leave room for expansion
    Make sure to use the correct sealant(or equivalent) on the oring and blue loctite on the bolts.
    Check the threads on the plug hole. The plastic cones are easy to cross thread. If it has been cross threaded just go get a new cone. They are only like 13 bucks. As far as the seal under the impeller is concerned pressure testing is probably the best way to check that. Unless you can see oil running down from that area. A pop off tester for carbs was recommended as a tool to use. There is also a diy on here to build one.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

you should pressure test all pump work

if you don't, history will repeat itself. The tools aren't all that much money compared to a bottle of good pump oil and a couple of hours pulling things. If the pump holds pressure you can rest assured after you get it all wrapped up you won't have to worry about it again till the end of the season.

thanks guys, I have determined that it was me over filling the oil, but I might just do the rebuild anyways.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by seeks View Post
    thanks guys, I have determined that it was me over filling the oil, but I might just do the rebuild anyways.
    yeah it will expand and cause a leak

+1
    When in doubt I replace the cones because the threads where the plugs go can start leaking either because the plug was not threaded straight or was over-tightened.

I use Permatex Form-a-Gasket #2 on the plug threads and Hylomar on the cone O-ring.

My trick to filling it is to do it with the cone pointed down slightly so that when it gets just high enough to cover the tab on the anti-rattle thingy it will have some space at the top when the pump is level (where it more of less runs). I pull the pump off to do the oil but it can be done with it installed.

A pressure test is a great way to find a bad front seal or O-ring and can tell you if the threads in the cone are fouled up. It will not help if you mess up putting the plug in so take your time and remember that pipe thread does not have to be super tight to seal.

Again guys, thanks!!!!

Thread Information