Another Oil Question

I know this is a often disscussed topic, and i searched around but couldnt find what I was looking for. I have a 06 R-12 and am trying to check the oil. How do I do this? Also what kind of oil would this ski have in it from the factory? What weight, synthetic, or mineral? If the oil needs to be check with the motor warm, should I do this on the hose, how long should I run the motor? I found the dipstick in the front but a lot of the searchs talk about a rear dipstick, does my ski have this? Any input and or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just went out and looked, I dont see a hose hookup on this ski? there is a back oil fill, but theres no dipstick on it. Also I would love to have a owners manual if anyone has one I can download. Sorry for all the stupid questions but this is the first Honda I have ever seen let alone work on.

Look at the rear left side of the engine, you will see a small screw off black cap. Make sure the ski is level and check it there. I use the Honda synthetic oil 10w40 But you will get a lot of different answers on this. You can go to pwc today and I think there is a sticky on the manual you are looking for. When you change the oil be sure not to overfill!

I build Horsepower
    +1

Nitro method for checking oil level

Quote Originally Posted by Rford09 View Post
    I know this is a often disscussed topic, and i searched around but couldnt find what I was looking for. I have a 06 R-12 and am trying to check the oil. How do I do this? .
    From Search...the Nitro method.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=nitro+method

Nitro method for checking oil level

"Best way is to level the engine and check the oil after setting overnight with the dip stick in the lower REAR sump hole (by the turbo)"

This will give you the most accurate readings.

Shawn

This may sound stupid but I dont understand the nitro method. The plug in the back of the engine doesnt have a dipstick on it, it seems to be just a plug. How am I supposed to check the oil level with no dipstick, or am I lokking at the wrong thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rford09 View Post
    This may sound stupid but I dont understand the nitro method. The plug in the back of the engine doesnt have a dipstick on it, it seems to be just a plug. How am I supposed to check the oil level with no dipstick, or am I lokking at the wrong thing?
    Remove the oil cap off the top( front ) of the engine. It has the dip stick on it. Then use it to measure the level at the rear. You can't screw it in just let it bottom out when you check it. Be careful not to drop the cap. It's a B**** to get back.

+1
    Make sure you don't loose the O ring off of the rear cap either!

Just to clarify, I have an 06 F-12X. Is the place where you check the oil at the rear of the motor a clear plastic tube with a black push type cap on it? If not what I am referring too? Thanks

+1
    This is a hard black cap that looks like a jounior edition of the top front dipstick. It is at the bottom/rear of the engine block straight down from the turbo's inlet air tube. DON'T DROP THE O RING!

Thread Information