Thread: 96 SL700 Help

96 SL700 Help

I took my SL700 out for the first time. I ran good except when I run it wide open it starts to bog down. I let off the gas and it will pick back up. Is there an adjustment needed? If so what should I do?

Also it seems to be idling too high. How do you determine the idle speed? I am concerned about the no wake zones.

+1
    Have you checked or cleaned the carbs lately?
    Do you still have the gray supply lines?
    Sounds like its time to work on the fuel system.

Gray Supply Lines

I just bought them and have not doen anyting to the carb. What is the issue with the gray supply lines? It does seem as thought he carb is getting flooded. When I let off it immediatly responds and picks back up speed. What is the best way to clean the carb? Do I need to remove it?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

96 Polaris sl700 need advice water in hull and starter problem.
    I just purchased a sl700 looked to be in great shape, started right up...but owner was not near water to try out. Do not buy without water test....
    I have 2 problems,... one caused by other. First, after 5min. in water, my son got on with me and it was too low in the water and then it stalled. trying to start it...it sounds like only the solenoind was energized (winding sound) engine did not turn over. seat and the engine compartment was 1/2 full. ( not to carb) Got it to shore and on trailer...heavy. we could not really see where water was leaking. We noticed some silicone around jet assembly outside of hull.....crap,and my guess is that it is leaking in and around the jet to eng. shaft.....? I was going to take it by trailer to leak test by leaving it straped to trailer. But I wanted to be able to start it. This is the red domestice engine....and thought maybe the battery went/ weak/ bad. under water...I charged it and did not seem to hold full charge,....so i spent 80 bucks and installed new one.
    Did not help, still just hear starter spin sound....
    I there a fuse or something I should be looking for? I have not opened up the fuse / elect box yet...
    Please any advise is really appreciated.

Having spent 1000 and feeling suckered,....
    Chris

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdixon05 View Post
    96 Polaris sl700 need advice water in hull and starter problem.
    5min. in water,..... engine compartment was 1/2 full. ( not to carb) .....silicone around jet assembly outside of hull.....crap,and my guess is that it is leaking in and around the jet to eng. shaft.....?.....maybe the battery....installed new one.
    Did not help, still just hear starter spin sound....
    There are 2 primary places for typical water intrusion. #1 is the thru-hull bearing assembly. That is the black ring about the driveshaft with 2 hose clamps holding it to the hull. The other place is the speedometer pitot. That little guy is immediately under the driveshaft. Usually, a leak there means a broken hose, or the hose fell off.

Often riders don't grease the thru-hull bearing and the seals fail allowing water to enter. Also, if the engine is improperly aligned it can cause the driveshaft to place excess pressure against the bearing and wear it out to one side.

Also, you need to check all your hoses to make sure there are no cracks, breaks, or loose clamps. To fill a hull in just 5 minutes sounds like the water is under pressure....meaning one of the supply hoses is probably bad.

Silicone is fine in the right places. The pump shoe needs to be sealed to the hull. Also, the ride plate must be sealed to the hull. If these aren't sealed it can cause cavitation.

If you hear a spinning sound with the starter engaged that should mean that everything electrical in the starting circuit is operating properly. Most likely your start bendix has failed and needs replaced.

BTW, it's best to start a new thread rather than tagging on the back end of an old post.

KJ

Thread Information