+1

720 spitting and sputtering help

Ok. 01 gs 720. Just dewinterized. Ran great. Put fuel in out of my 500 gl tank yesterday -put it in the water and 5 minutes later started running like crap. Spits and sputters and tries to start. Backfires through the carb sometimes. Got it to finally run for a couple minutes but wouldn't idle. Think I got some bad gas but the other 3 I fueled out of the same tank are fine. This one was the first one I fueled up. Maybe crappy gas settled to the bottom of my tank? I need some opinions. I don't have time to chase 100 issues to figure this out. Help. Thanks. Cyl psi is fine plugs are new. Like I said it started after fueling up

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by porschemaniac View Post
    Ok. 01 gs 720. Just dewinterized. Ran great. Put fuel in out of my 500 gl tank yesterday -put it in the water and 5 minutes later started running like crap. Spits and sputters and tries to start. Backfires through the carb sometimes. Got it to finally run for a couple minutes but wouldn't idle. Think I got some bad gas but the other 3 I fueled out of the same tank are fine. This one was the first one I fueled up. Maybe crappy gas settled to the bottom of my tank? I need some opinions. I don't have time to chase 100 issues to figure this out. Help. Thanks. Cyl psi is fine plugs are new. Like I said it started after fueling up
    check the seal at the water seperator, bad gas or dirty carb screens

+1
    You might want to check the rear electric box. I have seen the lip of the seal get pinched on those like the GS has and they get water in them (worse over the winter depending on climate). Once the coil is under water you get a lot of the symptoms you describe.

It also could have fouled a plug (even new) trying to burn off that fogging oil.

I think that is a single carb so checking the inlet screen would not be too involved (though pulling that air box is a PITA).

I am assuming that you had the seat off to check it once it started to act up. If not, take a look. That is also what one will do with a hull full of smoke from a leaking manifold/pipe flange. Of course, upon removal of the seat that problem would be rather obvious.

BTW, what you end up chasing depends on how well the machine has been maintained and/or what part/parts have decided to, as is machinery's want, fail . We will offer some thoughts based on what you have described and it may, or may not be one of them. Those are the breaks.

If you do not like what any of us have to say then do not check it. Of course, if that IS what is wrong, well, that would suck, would it not?

If your time is so tight that you feel the need to demand that someone who has never seen your boat, let alone ridden or worked on it instantly know what is wrong based on a few words on a message board then perhaps it would be better if you just took it to someone to fix.

I think the dealers are only about 5 or 6 weeks behind right now (some more, some less) so it should not be too awful long before you are riding again...

+1

update

Found it. It was a fluke. The foam block in the mag housing that holds the wires in place deteriorated and got on the coils causing misfires. Cleaned it and its back on the water. Thanks for the advice. Btw. I wasn't demanding anything. Just asking if anyone had run across similar symptoms and causes on a 720. Most of us on the forum politly offer our advice and past experiences up to help a fellow skier out.

+1
    Indeed.

Glad you found it.

Thread Information