Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2003 Kawasaki STXR Fix, Sell, or Part Out

I bought this thing from a dealer in pieces. One cylinder and head is damaged. I do not know my best option. Normally I would just fix it, but this one has a lot of after market stuff on it. I was wondering if this stuff will make it temperamental. I don't want to put it back together and have problems getting it to run right. The other option would be to sell it broken or just sell it for the parts.

Any thoughts? Here are some pictures of the non stock stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kawi03Left30.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	189769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KCarb1.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	189770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KAirClean.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	189771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KCarbAdapt.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	189772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KExhaust.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	189773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KHead4.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	189774  

That has some nice parts on it. The head is easy the dome is replacable for about $40. Push in on the spark plug hole and the dome will pop out, there are some nubbers engraved on the back. Post what it says and that will tell us more about the motor setup. The cylinders are nickasil plated and can be fixed. How bad is it damaged? The other factor is the bottom end make sure the piston didnt break up and escape out the bottom. You may want to post some pics of the damaged parts that may tell us more.

If you part it out let me know what you want for the heads. I know of several guys looking for carbs.

Single pipe setups are pretty reliable even with those parts. But some of the questions I asked above wil tell more about what you have for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    That has some nice parts on it. The head is easy the dome is replacable for about $40. Push in on the spark plug hole and the dome will pop out, there are some nubbers engraved on the back. Post what it says and that will tell us more about the motor setup. The cylinders are nickasil plated and can be fixed. How bad is it damaged? The other factor is the bottom end make sure the piston didnt break up and escape out the bottom. You may want to post some pics of the damaged parts that may tell us more.

If you part it out let me know what you want for the heads. I know of several guys looking for carbs.

Single pipe setups are pretty reliable even with those parts. But some of the questions I asked above wil tell more about what you have for sure.
    Here are some pictures of the damage. What is the deal with the plating on the cylinders? What would happen if I have them bored for oversize pistons. I assume this would remove the plating.

Name:	KHead2.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	189807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KHead3.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	189808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KCyl1.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	189809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KCyl2.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	189810  

Those cylinders are aluminum with nicasil coating. You can send them off to us chrome to be repaired. From what I can see in the pics I would say the cost to fix that cylinder would be $235. That would get it back to std bore. You cant just bore it to the next over and throw in new pistons. How is the crank and lower cases?

That has some signs of being a race boat. Check that dome size, that will tell whether it was a flat top setup.

+1
    Ill take the heads...

Whats it got on the bottom for under water gear.

Plus how much did ya by it for will help ....see if it's worth parting or not, you could probably get about $2800 parted...roughly

Lol I thought you might have some intrest in those heads too

+1
    if you decide to sell it complete/broke then shoot me a pm on how much your thinking. I might be up for a winter project depending....

stxr

Well worth putting together. The only parts you might want to return to stock would be the exhaust ( not a fan of the Dominator) and maybe the carbs depending on whether you want to tune them in or not.

If you decide to part it out I would like the manifolds.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Those cylinders are aluminum with nicasil coating. You can send them off to us chrome to be repaired. From what I can see in the pics I would say the cost to fix that cylinder would be $235. That would get it back to std bore. You cant just bore it to the next over and throw in new pistons. How is the crank and lower cases?

That has some signs of being a race boat. Check that dome size, that will tell whether it was a flat top setup.
    Cases are fine. The Crank needs the outer bearings replaced. I planned to either find a good used one or replace the bearings.

I cleaned the first layer of grease off to get a better look. Here are a couple of pictures

Name:	KCase1.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	189848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KCase2.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	189849  

The cases look fine. You might try flushing that bearing out with some brake cleaner. I have had those bearings get some debrise in them when they go, flushed them out and they were fine.

Looks like you got plenty of intrest in the parts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information