Camshaft not turning

Please excuse my ignorance here, while I have been working on PWC'S for a long time I am fairly new to the 4TECS .I was working on an 02 GTX 4TEC attempting to isolate an oil pressure problem, while cranking it made a loud pop and now the camshaft is not turning, the chain appears to be intact and the engine rotates normally as does the driveshaft. It has been a while since I was into one of these engines. Looking at the crankshaft on the fiche the gear appears to be made onto the crankshaft, what is going on here? I will be pulling the engine probably tomorrow for further inspection just wondering if anyone else had run across this before.

Quote Originally Posted by wedoseadoo View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance here, while I have been working on PWC'S for a long time I am fairly new to the 4TECS .I was working on an 02 GTX 4TEC attempting to isolate an oil pressure problem, while cranking it made a loud pop and now the camshaft is not turning, the chain appears to be intact and the engine rotates normally as does the driveshaft. It has been a while since I was into one of these engines. Looking at the crankshaft on the fiche the gear appears to be made onto the crankshaft, what is going on here? I will be pulling the engine probably tomorrow for further inspection just wondering if anyone else had run across this before.

There are 3 bolts that hold the gear onto the cam.Does the gear on the cam turn if not then the timming chain is broken.I sheard mine off last weekend and hope to try it out again this weekend.Hope it did not hit any valves.

+1
    most likely broke the cam chain or its really worn and needs to be replaced i had to take the crank out of my 06 to get the new chain around the gear cause the gear is part of the crank its a bitch to do for just changing a $60 part and youll have to check the valves to make sure theyre not bent

+1
    sheared the 3 bolts on the cam gear ?

Quote Originally Posted by jaffabas View Post
    sheared the 3 bolts on the cam gear ?
    Yes the motor had 100hrs on it.Went back out yesterday and ran 83mph full of gas.No bent valves the bolts must have backed out then snapped when I pulled the lanyard.Got luck

Does the chain move with the crank?

Cam bolts are intact, chain does not move with the gear, I will try taking out the chain tensioner and see if the chain is just laying in there, it all looks like it is still lined up , could have snapped at the bottom I suppose.

This could be one of the odd ones. The sprocket/collar on the crank have been known to come off, and not turn with the crank.... in VEEEERY rare occasions.

More likely a baggy chain, and its history.

Yep pulled up on the right side of the chain and it came up, chain was snapped at the very bottom, time to pull the engine.

where your valves bent?

Thread Information