Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why is there no blower?

I thought that is you have an enclosed engine compartment you have to have a blower. Why does the Polaris SL-750 not have one?

+1
    mean like this one? I'm not sure. I thinks its a good idea. so i put 1 in my Pro.

it's a 4 inch 220 cfm boat bilge blower motor. 18.99. switch,4.00 and some tubing and wires. works great and keeps the fumes, the stator cover cooler and hot air out. Introduces a fresh air charge for the carbs too. cant hurt..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1317.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	189868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1319.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	189869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1318.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	189870  

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

not required by USCG regulation

you'll find a sticker someplace on your ski stating it's exempt from regulation on certain items, including ventilation and fuel systems.

A properly setup ski won't need a blower, but after a few accidents over the past few years, some skis have stickers warning to remove the seats for fueling ( assuming that it allow fumes to vent )

I'd say a blower is a fine idea, if you can wrangle one into your ski....

In any case you should check the intergrity of your skis fuel system and pressure relief valves, if you have fumes venting when you spin the tank cap off on a hot day, you can be sure the system is holding pressure, what you have to do is make sure the tank vent blow off valve is functioning, that requires some inexpensive tools and know how.

if the vent isn't blowing off when tank pressure rises too high, you can either push a fuel line off a fitting and spill fuel in your hull ( very very bad ) or hydrolock the engine with fuel if your carbs aren't in good shape ( just real bad)

You should see some type of clamp on every connection on the fuel system. personally, I'm not keen on zip ties event when lots of folks swear by them. They just don't have staying power in my experience, even though yamaha uses them from the factory, those are some better quality bits then you can typically buy at an auto parts store.

+1
    [QUOTE=nmpeter;1 They just don't have staying power in my experience, .[/QUOTE]

Could you tell us about your bad zip tie staying power experience with using zip ties? I'm interested in hearing about any issues related to zip-ties.. breaking off or coming undone or slipping off . Thanks..

I do know this though, if your use 1/4 inch clear fuel line and you use stainless steel clamps on them and you overtighten them, they will squish thru the little slots in the clamp like jello and cause a leak.. I tried it to see what would happen and the line was junk after I tighten it pretty tight.

Thanks for the info guys. I noticed that PO did not put clamps when the old fuel lines ran between the carbs when he upgraded to a triple pump. I guess I ought to fix that...huh.

+1
    YES! Immediately the triple pump pumps over 30/litres an hour. think about that.

I will do that before we take it out again.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

zip ties

In my area, temps routinely hit 100( and better) during the main part of the season and anything left out in the sun can get way too hot to handle ( leave a wrench in a footwell outside at lunchtime and you can literally get a second degree burn if your are careless when picking it up.. No doubt inside hull temps are the extreme I get lots of older skies in for work where just touching the zip ties make them snap off.

Hose clamps compress line unevenly and tend to seep over time, or worse strip out when they are tightened up. Even factory installed line gets soft ( like the infamous tempo lines) and come thru the slots in screw clamps

When I do fuel system work, I only uses USCG rated line and otiker clamps. The zip ties thing has been debated to death here. I'll replace them whenever possible with otikers. If you're going to use zip ties, use the really high quality ones with the metal locking tabs.

Use what works for you, I'm not going to carry the torch on this issue, this is just the way I was trained to work. Zips have their place on a ski, I just won't use em on the fuel system.

+1
    Oetiker clamps x2! Love them things! I got introduced to them a few years ago when I bought a soda machine. It's a bit of a PITA to stock all the sizes you'll need for skis, but they are cheap.

I order them thru Mcmaster Carr.

Some of the clamps on my latest ski, the Jetmate/SXR800; sorry the pic of the primer install on the carbs is blurry!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7402.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	189960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-05-14 20.06.28.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	189961  

+1
    Ecellent post.. wow I learned so much instantly from ya. thank you .. I hope my blower motor will help keeping temps down in the engine compartment. I ride mostly on hot sunny days.

For now, my lines are brand new and there fine. 3 months at 80 or 90 isn't bad.. not like your 100 plus days..

I will at some point will change eveything to what you described. oiteker clamps and uscg approved line. Any reccomendations for the pulse line?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information