Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What wear ring??

what are most of you guys running? oem plastic, or the stainless steel aftermarket ones?? pros an cons of each

Bump im interested too

Stainless.

I don't beach my ski...no rocks being ingested.

Sticks and such are another issue....usually get turned to salad and caught in the venturi.....easy enough to get out. With an oem ring you'd have gouges in it and in need of replacement....not so with SS.

Money saved in the long run.

+1
    Well i dont know if it is money saved long in the run.

Hmm replace a $50 plastic ring every 30 hours or so or rebuild my $300 custom pitched prop that took me many hours to get right...

Both will destroy a prop if you suck up a rock but the little stuff wont damage my prop and might groove the plastic and keeps my prop nice and sharp.

But in saying that the little stuff in a metal pump might just get cut up and thrown out but over time this will have an affect on the prop.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rick xp View Post
    Well i dont know if it is money saved long in the run.

Hmm replace a $50 plastic ring every 30 hours or so or rebuild my $300 custom pitched prop that took me many hours to get right...

Both will destroy a prop if you suck up a rock but the little stuff wont damage my prop and might groove the plastic and keeps my prop nice and sharp.

But in saying that the little stuff in a metal pump might just get cut up and thrown out but over time this will have an affect on the prop.
    I have to agree with rick, a wear ring its called a wear ring so it can wear due to some ingestions, I would much rather cook my plastic wear ring than to mess my prop. And in sandy areas the ss will wear eventually just like a plastic, due to abrassion, IMO i go with the plastic, cheaper to replace every other season.

Same for me, Rick has the nail on the head.

OEM for me any day.
    I have seen many a Yamalog with worn prop and ring, which have crept up on the owners, 'til they say ..."it just doesn't seem to go as well as it used to"

I have one example in my shop with a rock jammed in the propeller and wear ring. It actually grabbed the wear ring as well, but the pump survived, and finnily enough, the prop was good... it just dragged the rock round the wear ring, and no other damage..!!

+1
    oem is the only way to go IMO, the rest are just a headache of testing !!!!! and those yellow ones .....

thanks for the reply's guys. think im goin to go with a oem when i drop my new 15/20 in

SS for me -- only way i will go -- i went for 3 years with a SS with alot of rocks and sand -- and yes i have hosed 2 impellers up due to me being a dumbass -- if it wasn't for that i still wouldn't have had to change the wear-ring out --changing impellers -- well thats a different story more tweaking you do to the ski you got to change the impeller -- and rick you going to say you get your impeller just right and never upgrade your ski ?

I have 12 hours on my SS ring. I love the performance and so far so good on the prop wear. We will see how it looks after 50 hours of use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information