Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Skat prop removal

I'm trying to go back to my OEM prop to see what kind of RPM's I can gain. Ran into a major snag this weekend when trying to remove the Skat prop. The nose cone has lost all it's anodized coating and appears to be corroded to the driveshaft/prop. I stipped the allen screw in 2 seconds that holds it on. Then I had to drill the set-screw all the way out...so I know thats not whats holding it on. Lastly I ground the cone kinda flat to try and twist it off with some large vise grips. No luck. Soaking it in Fluid Film now but this things being a bitch.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Sending the whole pump to Impros would be super pricey.

Cone used to look like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yami%20nose%20cone.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	189929  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Awamori View Post
    I'm trying to go back to my OEM prop to see what kind of RPM's I can gain. Ran into a major snag this weekend when trying to remove the Skat prop. The nose cone has lost all it's anodized coating and appears to be corroded to the driveshaft/prop. I stipped the allen screw in 2 seconds that holds it on. Then I had to drill the set-screw all the way out...so I know thats not whats holding it on. Lastly I ground the cone kinda flat to try and twist it off with some large vise grips. No luck. Soaking it in Fluid Film now but this things being a bitch.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Sending the whole pump to Impros would be super pricey.

i would try some wd40 on the cone where it meets the prop. when you get it off and try to get the impeller off be careful with the skat impeller tool. i stripped 2 of them yesterday trying to get a skat prop off. those tools are made from some soft metal.

+1
    solas nose cones are blue, skat's are blackish. Are you using a solas nose cone on your skat prop?

I had difficulty getting one off and had to drill out the screw… plus it started corroded…
    I then had to use a bigger drill bit at an angle to weaken the nose cone… I then levered it off with a screw driver..

When I re-fitted my skat (blackish) front nose cone I did not install the small screw…
    Once a month I will get underneath and spray some wd40 or rp7 etc on it… It is held firmly with the rubber ring and has not moved.
    I have heard that some people just leave them off... personally I put them on.

When using the skat impeller tool you need to make sure it is fully seated in the impeller… it goes in half way easily and then needs to be pushed in all the way to the beginning of the spanner end...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    solas nose cones are blue, skat's are blackish. Are you using a solas nose cone on your skat prop?
    Sorry it is the Blackish one...the Blue one I have pictured was the only picture I could find to describe it. Sorry for the confusion.

So is this removal tool mentioned above the part that I used to tighten it down or is it something different? I have the hollowed out nut, and the part that slides over the drive shaft to hold the thing in the vise.

Man, This cone is starting to look like hamburger, it's completely cut all the way to the prop, and I have tried everything shy of a blow torch to remove it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Awamori View Post

Been there, done that. I usually have the best luck removing them by grabbing them with channel lock pliers & spinning it while pulling it forward. I put a rag over it to keep from marking it up, but you're past worrying about that now. There should be two tabs on the sides...try getting a small flathead screwdriver in there & wack it with a mallet to break it loose. Worse case, I guess you could cut it off with a dremel cut-off wheel.

When you put them on, anti-sieze is your best friend. I usually coat the front of the prop, the inside of the cone & the shaft to prevent them from getting stuck.

Unfortunately, the Skat cones aren't cheap. I was used to getting the Solas cones for my GPR props(like the one in your pic) for $12. I asked Impros to include a couple Skat cones in my order when I sent him a prop last year & the fuckers were $48/ea. I almost fell off my chair when I found out I paid $96 for 2.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Unfortunately, the Skat cones aren't cheap. I was used to getting the Solas cones for my GPR props(like the one in your pic) for $12. I asked Impros to include a couple Skat cones in my order when I sent him a prop last year & the fuckers were $48/ea. I almost fell off my chair when I found out I paid $96 for 2.
    Holy chit ...talk about price gouging. Sheesh. Can't you just leave them out? Or just fill the void with something sandable later when it needs to be removed. Kind of a lot of work to test and find out, but $50 bucks for one is absurd.

+1
    I had a total bitch of a time getting my Skat nose cone. I ended up greasing the shaft in the direction that the code has to slide off, then used a pair of vise grips and twisted the damn thing back and forth while hitting the vise grips with a hammer forcing the cone off.

I thought I had to have been doing something wrong because it could be this hard, but I talked to a few buddies who also had issues. If I hadn't got it off the way I did I was going to cut the SOB off. The whole ordeal was extremely frustrating.

+1
    LOL It's still on there.

I'm just worried that if it tears and part of the cone is still in there how the hell will I ever get the prop off? There will be no way to slide the hollow nut thing down the drive shaft to turn the prop. Which means I would have to grab it by the blades and somehow turn it. Seems like a really good way to dick it up.

+1
    I soaked my stock impeller in a good spray lube for several days before I was able to break the darn thing free. I stood the driveshaft up so that the lube would penetrate better. AfterIm done washing it now, I use an air compressor attachment to really dry out the pump and then I spary lube the impeller through the grate. Definitely dont want to go through that again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information