Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

My ultra 150 is toast

I went to fire up my 99' ultra 150 yesterday. Took the fresh battery out of my superjet, and stuck it in the ultra. Screen didnt light up. Did diagnostics. Checked from the soliniod all the way up to the orange on/off switch, power is completly dead. Went to jump the motor directly from the starter and nothing...Enigne turns by hand, but now I have a dead starter. Is it worth it to rebuild it? Or just got out and pick up a 2010 15F? I found one at a local dealer for 6999 with dealer prep. How much can I get for the ski as is? 800 bucks?

I just had my starter go out on my 1100 ZXi a few weeks ago. One thing I learned is if it is bad everything is going to be dead because you are no longer completely the circuit if something in the starter is fried.

If it was me I would replace the starter then If that doesn't solve things then you can consider selling it. If you are going to sell a Ultra that just needs a new starter for $800 though consider it sold because I will take it.

the starter doesnt complete the circuit on these, the screen should have turned on. i hate to state the obvious but double check the fuses i've blown that fuse multiple times putting in the battery, my ski has a red cap on the negative line which has caused me multiple times to connect the battery backwards and blow the fuse! i keep forgetting to tape over it and it gets me every year. Check the obvious we always look over the dumbest answers. If you are interested in selling i live in north jersey and would love a spare ski. good luck and let me know

Is the negative cable grounded to the starter? If so, and if you can get the neg cable on the starter move it and ground it to another place on the motor or in the hull and see what happens. If it is like mine, the neg is grounded to the starter and the starter is grounded to the motor which in turn is grounded to the mounts in the hull. You loose that ground if the starter is fried and you have busted coils within the starter.

Sounds funny I know but I had this problem just weeks ago. I thought maybe it was the starter but I wasn't getting power at all which is why I thought maybe it wasn't the starter. I moved the neg cable and power came back. I hit the start button and you could hear the stater solenoid clicking which it wasn't doing when it was grounded the the starter. That is when I removed the starter and tested it with leads and sure enough it was bad. Once I replaced it everything has been fine since. Only way you can find out is to troubleshoot and test. But yes, I would check your fuses first too so you don't do extra work.

+1
    There were a couple of variations of starters on Ultra 150s, so you have to get the correct one (more details on the Skiworx site).

If only you weren't so far away, I'd give you $800 cash today! That's waaaay to cheap unless there are other problems.

+1
    Dealer offered 700 for it. It will be his tomorrow. Gonna pick up the 15F.

Quote Originally Posted by xplayer2885 View Post
    Dealer offered 700 for it. It will be his tomorrow. Gonna pick up the 15F.
    I think your jumping the gun here. This could be something so simple & obvious that your looking right at the problem & not seeing it. Start at the battery & work your way forward from there. Check the ground to the engine first...it's got to be something simple like that. You say you jumped the starter?....did you attach a jumper to the engine for a ground & the hot jumper to the + terminal? ...& still did nothing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEVO View Post
    I think your jumping the gun here. This could be something so simple & obvious that your looking right at the problem & not seeing it. Start at the battery & work your way forward from there. Check the ground to the engine first...it's got to be something simple like that. You say you jumped the starter?....did you attach a jumper to the engine for a ground & the hot jumper to the + terminal? ...& still did nothing?
    I tore into the harness last night. Its all corrodid. I also did the hot jump on sunday when I noticed the issue, the starter is totally dead. I cant pass up the price of the new ski

i would give you more than that for it. let me know

Dealer can get a harness and a new starter and turn around and sell that for way over what you paid. I agree though, you should at least give some more time and try to solve it. Get more for the trade it that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information