2000 STX 1100 D.I. over heating!!!!

I have a STX 1100 D.I. That I think is over heating! The "high temp light does NOT com on. However I melted a fuel hose and the head is so hot that when I dribbled a dewdrops of water on it, it sizzled and steamed off!!!

I am getting a steady flow of water out of the valve on the right side of the hull, however it is very hot to the touch! I am going to get a laser temp sencor tonight to find out exactly how hot it is getting.

What could be causing this? Are there any known "clog" points in the cooling system? I had the motor out and this is the first time I have had it in the water. I was careful to make sure everything was hooked up corectly! I even called the dealership to verify a few hose connections. I have a clear cooling hose going to the ECM and I can see water flowing through hat as well!

Any information provided would be greatly apriciated! Thanks a ton and have a great day!

Is this over all the cylinders or just one or two?

Have you run it on a hose? This helps to backflush sand, dirt, trash out of the cooling passages & hoses. This could be all thats wrong with it

I am going to purchase a laser temp sencor and see if it is one or all cyl. I will also put it on the hose and see if that fixes it and report back and let you know what I found out! Thank you for all the responces!!!!

I picked up a laser temp sensor and ran the ski on the hose for about 5 min. It is idleing really high, between 4/6000 rpm. What would cause this, when it was in the water it was idling about 3000 rpm which i thought was high. The 1, and 2 cyl's were reading 120-135 F and the 3rd cyl was reading about 165, so i shut it off. Where do I go from here? I compression tested it and all cyl's were about 120. Fuel flow and oil flow are good from what I can see.

Thanks for all the information!!!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

idling at 4-6k?!?!

If you ran it for 5 minutes at that speed, you'll want to check your pump bearings after the engine issue is resolved. That's way over the acceptable rate without any liquid cooling

Sound like you have an air leak or a throttle position sensor error

There is a manual check for the high temp sensor. Don't have a manual handy but you put the sensor in a pot of boiling after and check what temp it actually closes

backflush +1, the temp sensor may not be seeing enough water to trip off.

I have a few questions about your reply. First of all you said I may have an air leak, in the fuel system? Causing my high idling?

What temp should the high temp sensor close at?

Backflush +1????? What does that mean?

Does the temp sensor act like a thermostat in a car or is it just a sencor for the compter?

Do I need to pull the head and check for a blockage in cyl 3? If not what do I do to correct it?

Thanks for your responces your a ton of help, all the dealer would say is "well umm you can bring it in for us to diagnose" gee thanks, like I didn't know that!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by workhardplayhard View Post
    I have a few questions about your reply. First of all you said I may have an air leak, in the fuel system? Causing my high idling?
    <,airleak in the engine, making the mixture leaqn. Search phrase "runaway"
    What temp should the high temp sensor close at?
    <<not sure..need to find a manual..especially if you have any thoughts of actually riding this ski>>
    Backflush +1????? What does that mean?
    <<search prhase "backflush"

Does the temp sensor act like a thermostat in a car or is it just a sencor for the compter?
    <<computer sensor>>

Do I need to pull the head and check for a blockage in cyl 3? If not what do I do to correct it?
    <<not yet>>>

Thanks for your responces your a ton of help, all the dealer would say is "well umm you can bring it in for us to diagnose" gee thanks, like I didn't know that!
    You'll find plenty of info there ..use the search engine feature, you'll figure out the right questions to ask then

Thread Information