Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Triton WC2-2 Brakes or No Brakes?

I ordered a Seadoo RXT-IS and am deciding what trailer I want. Dealer sells Karavan, Shore-lander and Triton.

I pretty much decided on the Triton WC2-2. I would hate it when my steel trailer gets scratched and starts to rust. I like the idea of tandem axles for ride and stability.

I will be towing with a full size Ram and wondering if brakes on the trailer was necessary? The option for disc brakes on one axle is $829! I have towed my enclosed 7x19 foot aluminum snowmobile trailer without brakes and although it can be done, when the brakes are hooked up, it's obvious and the trailer stops much easier. The watercraft trailer loaded should be about half the weight.

I'm assuming that most people don't have brakes and they are more of a luxury than a necessity in this situation. What are your thoughts?

+1
    I've used trailers with and without brakes. On a double trailer if you are towing with a truck that has disk brakes on all four wheels I wouldn't worry about upgrading to brakes on the trailer.

One of the biggest factors you need to look at is your area and your driving habits. In Austin we have the hill country with winding roads and large grades, we also have our fair share of drivers with their heads planted quite firmly up their butts. You can't control how they drive but you can control how aware you are and give yourself more time to react. I try to drive very defensively to the point where it can be exhausting trying to predict what everyone else is going to do but it keeps me from having to make any abrupt stops.

On the flip side one thing to consider is the Triton is an amazing trailer and one you will probably keep for years and possibly through several skis. So is the one time upgrade of $829 worth it to you to have breaks on a trailer that you will be keeping for years?

I've been working in law enforcement for four years now and seen a few accidents involving trailers with and without brakes. In most cases the situation got so out of control due to one or more parties not paying attention that brakes made no difference in the end result.

Thanks for the reply!

I live in Michigan and most of the terrain is flat. Towing wave runners should be a breeze compared to towing in the ice and snow!

If money was of no concern, I would do the brakes for sure, however, I'm spending a lot extra just upgrading to the Triton Elite WC2-2.

I had the same tandem Axle Triton, It is an awesome trailer. As long as your towing with a decent truck, you do not need the brakes. Keep in mind that if you have them, it does aid and conserve on brake ware on your tow vehicle....but unmeasurable at best. There are probably some pictures of mine in the Kawasaki projects thread of mine.

lastly, with a tandem, it is much harder to push and maneuver the trailer by hand.

Good info!

I agree, the amount of extra wear it will put on the front pads could be resolved by replacing the pads with "lifetime" pads when the originals wear out.

+1
    I just bought a WC2-2 last week & sprung for the surge disc option. The reason I wanted it was because I had to get on the brakes real hard once on the highway at 80mph to avoid an idiot who cut me off while pulling my SHO on a single place Triton. My Pathfinder got REAL squirrely under hard braking with only the 1300lb load behind it. If it had been raining & slick, I don't think I would've been so lucky & may have had the truck jacknife on me. With the amount of $ some of us put into our skis, what's another $800 to keep them(and us) safer on the road.

As far as limited manueverability moving the tandem axle trailer by hand, all you need to do is crank up the tongue jack until the front wheels come off the ground & it is just as easy to move around as a single axle. FYI, not sure if your truck has a 7 prong trailer plug, but you'll need one if you get the brake option. Did I mention I love this trailer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    As far as limited manueverability moving the tandem axle trailer by hand, all you need to do is crank up the tongue jack until the front wheels come off the ground & it is just as easy to move around as a single axle.
    yeah, let me know how that works out for you with two 1000lb beasts, 4 full fuel jugs, diamond box packed with tools and such. I did have a big foot tongue jack, still was more difficult than throwing around a single.

Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent trailer by far!

Best of luck with it!

As far as limited manueverability moving the tandem axle trailer by hand, all you need to do is crank up the tongue jack until the front wheels come off the ground & it is just as easy to move around as a single axle. FYI, not sure if your truck has a 7 prong trailer plug, but you'll need one if you get the brake option. Did I mention I love this trailer!!![/QUOTE]

take a single axle trailer and set the tonque jack to make trailer level and roll it around by hand. Now set tonque jack all the way up and try moving it again. Bet its alot easier to move when set level. I have wc2. LOVE IT. Wish i had bought wc2-2 with brakes. Haul 250x and 15f on wc2.

David

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    I just bought a WC2-2 last week & sprung for the surge disc option. The reason I wanted it was because I had to get on the brakes real hard once on the highway at 80mph to avoid an idiot who cut me off while pulling my SHO on a single place Triton. My Pathfinder got REAL squirrely under hard braking with only the 1300lb load behind it. If it had been raining & slick, I don't think I would've been so lucky & may have had the truck jacknife on me. With the amount of $ some of us put into our skis, what's another $800 to keep them(and us) safer on the road.

As far as limited manueverability moving the tandem axle trailer by hand, all you need to do is crank up the tongue jack until the front wheels come off the ground & it is just as easy to move around as a single axle. FYI, not sure if your truck has a 7 prong trailer plug, but you'll need one if you get the brake option. Did I mention I love this trailer!!!
    I wish you would of posted a few days ago. I just spoke with the dealer and my trailer came in yesterday. I may have just closed my eyes and pulled the trigger!

I would love brakes on my trailer but I went the extra just to get the WC2-2. If I thought it was an absolute must, I would have got brakes regardless of cost, however, I towed my 7x19 snowmobile trailer without brakes (did not have my brake controller hooked up at the time) and it was not awful and that trailer with sleds is heavier by at least 1000lbs.

$800 on top of a $2700 trailer was just to rich for my blood at the time. Brakes can be added after the fact but they have to change the whole harness. If brakes were $300 I would have not thought twice.

I did have LED lights installed from the factory.

+1
    I think you've made the smarter choice, now you get to see how that Triton tows and if you decide you need the brakes you can save for them later without punching a larger hole in your wallet now. If your content with how it tows now, no money wasted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information