STX 12f problems at high hours discussion

I have an 07 12f that is at 85 hours an climbing fast. I ride pretty hard, but I take really good care of it by flushing it after every ride, cleaning it, changing the oil and plugs every season, lubricating the engine etc. The only thing is though is that I feel like the ski is getting close to the hour zone where i start to see mechanical problems. I'm debating whether or not I sell the ski now for what i can get and try to get something newer, or I run it to the ground and part it when i have a catastrophic problem. At how many hours is it typical to start seeing problems? What sort of problems might I see and are they really expensive fixes? What do you guys think?

im no jetski expert maybe one can come along soon and comment on my path of thinking ?

but 85 hours on 4 stroke thats well looked after from a motor point of view is nothing i could be wrong but on a non boosted motor id like to think it should last over 500 hours befor things even start to look like wearing out

cheers trev

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by trevs View Post
    im no jetski expert maybe one can come along soon and comment on my path of thinking ?

but 85 hours on 4 stroke thats well looked after from a motor point of view is nothing i could be wrong but on a non boosted motor id like to think it should last over 500 hours befor things even start to look like wearing out

cheers trev
    trevs is right on.... as long as you keep the maintenance up it will last a long time. plus it's a KAWIASAKI!!!!!!

+1
    I had 380 hours on my 15f and I rode it hard all the time. It would have lasted longer but it broke down due to mechanical problems I caused. You shouldn't have a problem for a while but if a deal comes around I will be selling a starting over after 3 or 4 years now.

I put 190 hrs on my 09 15F hard jumping in surf in 18 months, no issues at all. Ski runs good like new. Did acompression test last week and it still same reading as it had at 10hrs after it was first run in. Maintenance is the key. Sold it last week to my brother so I still had lots of faith in the ski.

My mate just sold his 05 12F with 420hrs on it, motor was good still just had some pump issues last year, he sold it to upgrade to 15F.

Both these skis still ran good on the gps 15F stage 1 mods 63 and the 12f stock at 55.

Both these skis were used at least once a week sometimes 3 to 4 rides a week through holiday periods and only in our mild winter we have here they may have sat for no more than 2 to 3 weeks, regular use helps lubricate everything and prevents valves and other things from corrosion as fresh fuel and oil is going through the motor all the time, not everyone can do this.

Have heard from my mechanic that some have had top end issues at around 350 to 500hrs.

Sell it and get 15F, lots more responsive and fun.

I know this is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions but is a 15f likely to last longer than a 12f if they are treated/maintained the same or should there be no expected difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Robba View Post
    I know this is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions but is a 15f likely to last longer than a 12f if they are treated/maintained the same or should there be no expected difference?

hey robba, if you get the answer to this one, please send me the Florida Lotto numbers for next saturday please...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    hey robba, if you get the answer to this one, please send me the Florida Lotto numbers for next saturday please...
    Yeah red .. I'll go in on the lottery with ya and split it with ya

Thread Information