Hoping someone on here can help me out. I bought a 2001 Virage a couple of weeks ago from a fellow Coast Guard buddy (waverunner is primarily used for USCG Patrols) and ran it the day after I bought it. It ran pretty good for the most part (but heard what sounded like a couple of miss fire's I chalked up to stale fuel). Yesterday I replaced the Champion sparkplugs he had in there and put in the NGK's the owners manuel called for (with the proper gap). When I put it in the water it would start up, but if I gave it any gas at all it would die. After awhile of start, stop, start, stop....it would maintain about 3000 RPM and then die if it went any higher. Again I thought maybe it was just stale fuel so I decided to run it for awhile at 3000 RPM and burn off some of the fuel.

After about 30 minutes or so, I started to hear a loud grinding sound that would go away if I dropped it down to idle. My initial thought was the bearings in the water pump. I took it to a shop and they said they found a stick jammed in the propeller.

My question is, would a stick in the prop cause the engine to die after 3000 RPM, or do I still have another issue on my hand, and the only thing that got solved was the grinding noise?