5000-5500 rpms 40mph?

Does this sound about right. Only 2 hours on my new ski i am a nervous person about stuff like this and this is my first ski and ive been posting too much and i sorry bout that but does 40mph at 5000 rpms sound about right thats as fast as i tried to go since i dont want to do any harm to the engine during breakin...should i try going faster is that better or worse for it....i also had one instance where it would not start when hot...and another where i hadnt started for a week and it was tough to start but i pulled the kill switch out a little more and it turned right over....and it idles around 1000-1300rpms sounds a little rough but as soon as i go on the throttle it smooths out...im just a little nervous about all this stuff as it is my first ski and im 16 and dont want anything breaking on me( probably didnt help that i did some wave jumping this weekend behind our boat)

What ski is this for?

I have read mixed reviews that you want to baby it for about 30 mins varying the throttle about 20-25% then letting it cool for 30 mins. Then increase the throttle each time for the first tank. Then the second tank right it up to 90% but not hold it WOT very long.

On the other hard I have heard ride it like you stole it varying the throttle only riding it 30 mins at a time then let it cool and do it again until that tanks is gone. Then the second tank it should be broke in.

Is this a new ski or a rebuilt motor? Did you rebuild the carbs? You're idle should be about 1250 to 1500. 1000 is really low in water under load. Would be hard to start if the idle is off, mixture screws are not set properly and/or pop-off is not right.

put a description in your signature. No one knows what ski you are talking about, so how do we know what speed you should be doing. Dont assume we all read your previous posts.

if its an ultra 250/260 and you are using the orange key, the speed and rpms are way off.

oo my baddd lol yea its the stx 15f 2010 only like 2 hours on it
    and im not going full out im just saying thats only as fast as i have tried to go because im afraid i will hurt the engine going faster since there are only 2 hours on it im just wondering if the speed sounds right for the rpms

did you read the manual? I dont think it states anywhere that you cant go more than 40. Most people on here do quick full throttle runs within first 10 minutes, but thats a whole other debate.

Do some searching on here, there is lots of info on break in procedures.

Most people ride em like they stole em to get the rings to seat properly and end up with a faster boat. But again, there are debates on that.

Main thing is to vary the throttle alot. Dont just cruise at a steady speed. And oil change is important by 10 hours, some do it after 1 hour.

yea i read the manual it just says 3/4 throttle so idk...i think next time i ride this weekend im gonna open it up cause i feel like it needs to be blown out

Ride it at WOT for a few seconds for the rings can seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
    Ride it at WOT for a few seconds for the rings can seat.
    yea i think im gonna have to sack up and gun it

Quote Originally Posted by BASEBALLMAN View Post
    yea i think im gonna have to sack up and gun it
    Just make sure that you allow it to warm up completely before you do. You need to idle it around for at least a few minutes to ensure all the engine internals have come up to temperature.

59 mph not full throttle (dreamometer) yesterday ..and today rough big air

Thread Information