Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New old 96 GSX

+1

New old 96 GSX

I have just got me a 96 GSX. Been setting for 2 years. Got it running but have yet to get it in the water.

Problems:

I was running before I left for 2 week for military duty. But not it will not turn over. Charged battery to make sure it was not that. Will not turn over. Hear a clank but will not turn. I was thinking the start was gone out. any ideas.

Also the left gauge that has the computer part it busted. any one know where I can get a new one?

the last thing it I have a water leak. I was thinking it was the gasket as the water comes out of the head and around. But replaced gasket cleaned and I can know see it not that. So new to the PWC world so do not know all the currect words. Any other ideas where the water could be comping from? As I said this has not made it to water yet. so leak if on water hose use.

thanks,

1. Make sure you shut the water hose off a couple of seconds before shutting down the ski or it could back fill into the cylinders through the exhaust.

2. Remove the spark plugs and try to turn the engine over by hand (by rotating the pto flywheel on the rear of the engine).

3. After you try to rotate it by hand you can determine what to do next. i.e. if it rotates by hand I would check the starter circuit. If it does not rotate by hand you need to see if the pump or rear bearing is frozen, etc.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    that clank you hear could be a few things I can think of

your battery is not strong enough to turn the engine, and the starter engages but wont turn the engine, if it turns it slowly with both plugs off then the battery could be the problem.

since you said the ski sat for 2 years, it could also be that your pump bearings are toasted, due to water intrusion, I seen ski with low hours have water inside the pump housing. Calling that the bearings are toasted on the pump means that it could be dragging your engine.

My recommendations are, test the battery voltage with a voltmeter while trying to crank the engine, it should not drop below 10volts, if it goes lower could be a weak battery.
    before doing this remove your entire pump and see if you can spin the impeller freely.
    if you keep trying to start it in the situation you're talking about you might cook your starter and burn off some battery terminals.

+1
    Thanks you two for the help.

Update:

new full charged battery. Would not turn over. could not get it to turn by hand. So was just about to give up and just have it sent to the shop. However something told me to pull the spark plugs to save them since they are new and put the old ones back in. When I pulled the plugs water came out of the hole. So I decided to pull the head off as I was thinking the head gasket is blown. No water was leaking out once all screws was out. However once I pulled up on the head and broke the seal it flooded the bottom of the boat. There was lite water on top of one head and the cyc looked good on that one. one the other it was coated will like a gray oily mess. and full of water I was able to rotate it easy by hand and even hit the start button once and turn great. So where is there water coming from? or do I need to brake it down even more to see what under the head?

Are you hooking it up to the hose and running the water while you are trying to start it?

+1
    No only turn water on once It starts. But I did not turn water off before I turned off the motor. But I still have a leak somewhere between the two heads. as with the engine running I can see water running down the side of the motor between the two heads.

Check the casting plugs on the main exhaust (the blue part), mine did the same thing, the casting plugs, (kinda look like frost plugs in a car block, but these are welded in) corrode from teh inside due to water sitting in them, then when you put on host (which has more pressure) they spring a leak.

I fixed mine with some of that two part putty type jb-weld, not the liquid stuff, but the the stuff that looks like tow pieces of clay that you knead together, I just got out as much of the rusted plug as I could then covered the entire casting plug and weld with that two part J- Weld and it has not leaked a drop since, (that was 3 years ago).

As for water inside motor, you flodded the engine from the garden host by not turning the water off before shutting the engine off.

+1
    I would think that unless you move fast that motor will start to rust up pretty bad on all exposed surfaces and including the crank and rod pin bearing which you cannot see. If you haven't started a full dis-assembly and rebuilt you should think about it or you will invest a lot of time and money in it this way only to find that the motor fails from rusting of all the internal bearing, etc,etc. In my opinion if you are new to this whole deal, take it to a reputable shop. Even if you get it running and it doesn't leak, it has been sitting a while. That carbs will need a complete rebuilt as the seadoo 2 strokes are tempermental. You can do it but it kinda frustrating to go through all the motions and find out it blows up the 2nd or 3rd time you ride. If you really like the ski and you can invest a couple thosand in it go to the dealer. Ive killed my old 96 gtx a couple times...it ain't worth the agravation!just my .02... Or just try like we all do and you got a 50/50 shot of it working! Good luck in any case...they are fun!

+1
    Awesome ski! I have one of these up north and love it!

+1
    Thanks. I have removed all the water out of it now only to find that the starter has lock up one thing after another. oh well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information