Kailua,Hawaii 1050SLTX

Howzit!

This is my first maybe second thread.

I have done tons of repairs on my pwc. The main repair was upgrading the stator.

Now, it seems the starter is not cranking the engine so the question is, can i remove the starter without having to pull the motor. I've already pulled the exhaust system so i could get to the starter, however after removing the two bolts. The starter doesn't seem to slide out and i don't wanna bang on it really hard.

I hope i don't gotta go through the front or anything. Please advise.

Thanks,
    Kainalo

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What model and year is your Poalris?

Once you have removed those two bolts holding the rear of the starter motor, the only thing holding it in place is stiction.

Sometimes the starter motor can be REALLY stuck in there. It slides directly rearward to remove it, but you may need to apply some serious force to get it to move.

There is an O-ring seal around the neck of the starter motor, but that doesn't matter when you are just trying to pry it out of there.

Salt water operation can really rust it into place. I wish you good luck.

im not sure exactly what year it is but i remember it being a 94.

i'm not 100% sure but i think the problem now is the starter. After i updated the stator, put everything back together, i started cranking the motor and all of a sudden i hear a winding sound and not the engine turning over so now im thinking there must be something wrong with the starter.

ill go ahead and just pry that thing out. i hope that will be the problem this time.

From my description, do you feel this is a starter problem?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kainalo808 View Post
    ...but I remember it being a 94.

...After i updated the stator, put everything back together, I started cranking the motor and all of a sudden i hear a winding sound and not the engine turning over so now I'm thinking there must be something wrong with the starter.

...From my description, do you feel this is a starter problem?
    The model year is the last two digits of the HIN number plate on the rear deck.

If you hear a high pitched whining sound when you press the start button, then the starter motor is working and spinning. It just isn't connecting with the flywheel.

That means the Bendix gear assembly inside the flywheel housing has failed. The Bendix gear is what connects the starter motor to the flywheel when you press the start button.

To replace the Bendix, you need to remove the flywheel.

Is it possible that the Bendix gear assembly was not properly re-installed after you changed the stator?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The model year is the last two digits of the HIN number plate on the rear deck.

If you hear a high pitched whining sound when you press the start button, then the starter motor is working and spinning. It just isn't connecting with the flywheel.

That means the Bendix gear assembly inside the flywheel housing has failed. The Bendix gear is what connects the starter motor to the flywheel when you press the start button.

To replace the Bendix, you need to remove the flywheel.

Is it possible that the Bendix gear assembly was not properly re-installed after you changed the stator?

This.

'96 was the first year for the 1050 so it can't be older than that. What color is it? '96 was mostly teal, '97 was mostly purple.

'96

'97

'98

'99

i have a 97 sltx.

so does this mean i have to pull the motor out again to check if the gears are connecting?

What would you also advise me to take notice to make sure things are in place before reassembly (like a checklist)?

starter follow up

i pulled the engine and opened the flywheel cover to find out, the woodruff key was sheared.

since the flywheel was free spinning, i assume the timing is off.

just so i understand, the book says to crank the engine until the forward piston is at TDC. can i just do this by eyeballing it through the ports? Once i achieve TDC, im supposed to place the flywheel back on and make sure the arrow at the viewport is pointing on what dashline on the flywheel?

the dashes look something like:

0|||||||||10|||||||||20

please advise

the timing is kept in place by these little triggers in the middle , held in by little tiny screws in the fly wheel , so if they havent been moved your timing should be in the ballpark of what your looking for

just replace the woodruff key and make sure your fly wheel slot is not screwed up so it doesnt happen again

i dont understand why you had to take the starter off , the bendix is in its on little hole in the case ,

in order to change the stator you should have just been able to undo the 7 bolts on the case , the main lug for the fly wheel , (get a flywheel puller ) and remove the fly wheel that can be tricky even more if the key was sheared off , undo the allen machine bolts , undo the the wireing harness grommet take out ,

then reverse order ,

but i dont blame you for takeing the motor out the stator is pretty sensitive to being bumped by the fly wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Bone1050 View Post
    the timing is kept in place by these little triggers in the middle , held in by little tiny screws in the fly wheel , so if they havent been moved your timing should be in the ballpark of what your looking for
    i remember loosening those "little triggers", i think. correct me if im wrong but there are two of them in slotted holes.

how should i readjust them?

Thread Information