Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone ever filled in the two outer channels on an R & D plate?

What kind of gain do you guys think this would give if any? Also if no one has what can I fill it with that can be removed fairly easily if it does not work?

J-B weld will stick if applied correctly, but it will take several tubes. Go for it. Let us know the results..

+1
    I think it will slow you down...but you never know...may also affect handeling..unless you have the skegged plate. I could weld up the channell for you and machine it flat , it would take about 2.5 hours to do and probably would warp the plate. the jb stick putty is probably better and i bet it dont last more than a day at speed unless you rough up your plate....jb putty ,wax paper ,and a piece of glass to hold it flat.

+1
    This will be interesting. Thinking outside the box. Keep us all posted.

I'm actually running with these channels filled on my IR plate. I used a product call PC Metal. I probably have about 10 hours on it and it's holding. I'm not sure about it's individual effect, however, since I did this when I trued the plate and filled the bolt holes. It seems to handle just fine, so I'm leaving it for now. But, it would be nice to know if I should remove it again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ner/plate3.jpg
    Last edited by '02GPRider; 09-24-2006 at 07:26 PM.

+1
    That plate looks smooth...did you get any speed? Im thinking that the channel acts like the stepped hulls on the big baja type boats and keeps water friction low...but i dont really know first hand...can you crank it hard in a turn or does it lose grip and spin out ?

Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r
    That plate looks smooth...did you get any speed? Im thinking that the channel acts like the stepped hulls on the big baja type boats and keeps water friction low...but i dont really know first hand...can you crank it hard in a turn or does it lose grip and spin out ?
    Thanks, I put about 25 hours of labor into this plate. Yes, I gained about 1.5 MPH by smoothing this plate and filling holes. I've turned at WOT about as hard as I can hang on without a hint of it braking loose. I think the stock stepped sponsons are doing most of the work.

+1
    I might have to try that. Interesting. You are putting in some good speeds so any major adverse handling problems should be flushed out.

+1
    Did you run 77 mph with that smooth plate ? thats very good speed (gps right?)

Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r
    Did you run 77 mph with that smooth plate ? thats very good speed (gps right?)
    Yes, it's the only plate I have.

Yes, I use a Garmin 76 GPS. If you look at the plate, you can see I removed the stock speedo. It used to read in the high 80's, anyway.
    Last edited by '02GPRider; 09-25-2006 at 10:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information