Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Maintenance light on SeaDoo 2001 GTX Di

I have a SeaDoo 2001 GTX Di 2 stroke 951.
    First time out in the water & got a maintenance light on display.
    The PWC went into a limp mode (would not rev faster than 4,600)
    Brought it back to a mechanic put it on the computer & no fault code appeared.
    MPEM was reset. Work fine MAINT came back on when we re-started it & maintenance came back on still not code.
    As anyone ever had this problem... I would hate to buy a new MPEM if it could be something else.
    Thanks in advance
    Al
    Last edited by solaria; 05-26-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added some info

Did you ever get a sloution to this issue? I have the same issue, but the only dealer here who has a BUDS is 2wks+ out and they will charge me to reset it.

I have already tried a new battery and rectifier as well as the reset operation if it had been the scheduled maintenance indicator. I still get the flashing 'maint', red light, and limited power over 4800rpm, but with no beep code.

Anything will help! THX!!

strange that it went into limp, maint and light, but didn't register a code.
    feel both cylinders and see if there both about the same temp.
    check for spark as its doing it, and if you can check to see if both x2 injectors are firing and flowing

I believe that mechanic didn't know how DI faults work....he probably didn't see any "active" codes, and assumed there were no faults.

However, the DI MPEM logs all faults, the count, and when it last happened. It is confusing, so many mechanics don't know how to deduce what is going on. They simply look at the fault history, don't see any active codes, and assume there are no faults. I have yet to see a DI MPEM that doesn't have any historical faults....

I suspect you had a transient fault, it happened, put the ski into limp, then goes away. A simple reset of all faults will show exactly when it happens again, and what fault it is, by looking at the fault history data, count, first, last, etc.

Not sure if anyone had a resolution to the problem here. But I have a similar problem:

2001 GTX DI. Charge the battery up it will run perfect for about 4-5 hours. (weekend worth). Then you will get a "Maint" light, single long beep, then limp home mode. Keep it running for a little longer and get a "12v Low" warning with long beep and still limp mode. If i charge it back up everything is gravy again. Hoping it is either a weak battery or bad rectifier.

change brain, say goodby to problem

Problem FIXED

Sea Dood is correct the mechanic didn't know how DI faults work....he could see any "active" codes, and assumed there were no faults.

We finally spotted the problem in the log & it ended up being corroted wire on one of the coil. Im told its a common problem with this model. Hope this helps

Al

Quote Originally Posted by solaria View Post
    Problem FIXED

Sea Dood is correct the mechanic didn't know how DI faults work....he could see any "active" codes, and assumed there were no faults.

We finally spotted the problem in the log & it ended up being corroted wire on one of the coil. Im told its a common problem with this model. Hope this helps

Al

COOL glad to hear you resolved the issue. When Dood posted about history codes I figured he was right. When you think about it, If the DI did not store history codes that would make it an extremely primitive system.

Quote Originally Posted by solaria View Post
    Problem FIXED

Al

Can you be a little more specific on what was corroded? I have the same issue and it's been to the dealer who couldn't fix it $800 and 7wks later, so Im resorting to working on it myself. I have some decent knoweldge on it, but I'd like some clarification on what to look for....

Thanks!!

Keep in mind that there are many potential problems that can mimic the problem he had; there are 33 items in the fault recording table of a DI. In all likelihood, you have a different issue. Tracking down DI problems is why we came out with the Candoopro system. I wrote up a short document that describes this at http://www.candoopro.com/index.php?mode=di

Dealer technicians rarely do any investigative work. If they hook up BUDS and no faults are active, then they just tell the customer that they cannot tell what is wrong. However, most faults are transient, or intermittent. They happen, then might not happen again for a period of time. Consequently, nothing active shows up in the fault table when they hook up BUDS. Any time a DI goes into Maintenance/Limp mode, it records that occurrence in the fault table. You simply need to clear the fault count, then ride the ski, and when the intermittent problem happens again, you simply read the ski again and look in the Count portion of the fault table. It will clearly show where your problem happened, and help you zero in on fixing the issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information