Fuel usage Ultra vs Lx

Anyone have any numbers on what would be expected on gas consumption of a 250x vs a non supercharged version. say if both were run moderate around 35-40mph? Also if you had a Ultra and had super charger issues in the future could all the high speed stuff be pulled and maybe computer and or engine changes be made to allow it to operate like a LX? just curious about these areas. Mine runs fine but man you can't ride long and we like to spend the day on the water, kind of wished I had gotten the LX if the ride time is quite a bit more, I like the storage of these skis is why I chose the Kawi.

+1
    I just put 7 hours on this weekend and I used just over 4 gph which is 25-30 mph cruising and occasional high speed run. If you stay out the boost mpg is pretty good. I would think it is similar to the LX in that respect.

When Wife and I ride the river sometimes we ride between 50-55 mph. At the end of the ride both buzzers are going off about the same time. This is because she is running amost wide open the hole time and i'm not.
    Now if we spend the day on the lake cruising around 40-45 mph her gas go's alot longer than me.
    If you want to ride a bit longer why not put two, 2gals jugs up front in the top trey for the extra 4 gals to ride on. Thats what I do sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulldrawmike View Post
    ...kind of wished I had gotten the LX if the ride time is quite a bit more, I like the storage of these skis is why I chose the Kawi.
    I have ridden my 09 260X several times with an 09 LX rider. I have not computed exact mileage and gas consumption yet but I dont think you should have any regrets.

Yes, I think the LX has better gas mileage but its not "quite a bit more." In my opinion, the big advantage is not range but ability to use 87-89 octane instead of premium. We cannot get 92 on the water so I have to carry fuel or make special stops at places with short hikes to gas stations. The LX can fuel anywhere.

DW 250X makes a good point. If I am cruising at 50 to 55, the LX rider has to run wide open to keep up. That makes fuel consumption close. If LX is cruising at 45, and 250/260X is wide open at 65 mph, the difference in fuel consumption is significant.

Both skis are great and I agree the massive storage is a big plus for any long touring.

Petrol Consumption

Hi

If you are talking Petrol consumption I am your man.
    I own a 2009 260x.
    I have now got approx 120hours on it so yes I do use it.
    Since new i have documented the petrol and distance used as in Australia we are getting bent over on Petrol prices.

On 95 RON it runs on average at 721ml per km
    On 98 RON it runs on average at 700ml per km

Per tank lucky to get about 120km out of it or approx 3hours.
    This is running at an average of 60-70km

Yes they drink like fish but man are they fun.
    Shame they don't like standard 91 Ron but i have a feeling it would run without a problem using it but have never tried.
    Dont waste your time on a fuel pick up as I have driven it till 3 litres are left.

Hope this helps

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    I have ridden my 09 260X several times with an 09 LX rider. I have not computed exact mileage and gas consumption yet but I dont think you should have any regrets.

Yes, I think the LX has better gas mileage but its not "quite a bit more." In my opinion, the big advantage is not range but ability to use 87-89 octane instead of premium. We cannot get 92 on the water so I have to carry fuel or make special stops at places with short hikes to gas stations. The LX can fuel anywhere.

DW 250X makes a good point. If I am cruising at 50 to 55, the LX rider has to run wide open to keep up. That makes fuel consumption close. If LX is cruising at 45, and 250/260X is wide open at 65 mph, the difference in fuel consumption is significant.

Both skis are great and I agree the massive storage is a big plus for any long touring.
    I agree here 100% with the high octane. I keep mine on the water (no trailer) and there are zero 92-93 octane pumps in my area. I usually mix my fuel as I fill up on the dock with 93 octane and then mix with fuel at the marinas. I try not to put more than 11-12 gallons of the 87 octane in.
    This is a royal PITA If I would have known the lack of 93 octane at marinas I would have considered the Yamaha.

Now re. the GPH: I just posted that I'm getting as good as 4 gph per hour. I don't know how you beat that short of idling around. I'm guessing the LX, or any other N/A engine, can't do a whole lot better than that. It all has to do with getting in the boost as well.
    I've had turbocharged cars for years and the same deal--stay out of the boost good mpg, get on it and suck the gas.

thanks everyone for the responses. I know that i would probably be bored on an LX after riding a supercharged ride like this. I was just curious if the LX was double the ride time, that would be fun and cheaper, we do have 89 octane here on out lake so I have topped off with around 10-11 gallons mixed with the 93 I usually use and it seems to run fine. again, thanks and have a great memorial weekend. Mike

Thread Information