Another What's it worth question

Need some input from the experts. Looking at getting another ski. This time a 96 SLT 780. Have my own thoughts on what it's worth, but want some feedback/opinions.

PTO cyl. needs to be replaced
    Needs new battery
    Most likely needs new fuel lines, pump & carb kit

Will be looking at it tomorrow and checking compression numbers, etc. But so far I am thinking it needs around $300 - $400 in parts to get it on the water, maybe even more.

Of course I will then need to find someone to buy both single trailers, and then find a double that wont break the bank. But my thoughts right now are to offer the guy $300, but no more then $400.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by stl_sl650 View Post
    Need some input from the experts. Looking at getting another ski. This time a 96 SLT 780. Have my own thoughts on what it's worth, but want some feedback/opinions.

PTO cyl. needs to be replaced
    Needs new battery
    Most likely needs new fuel lines, pump & carb kit

Will be looking at it tomorrow and checking compression numbers, etc. But so far I am thinking it needs around $300 - $400 in parts to get it on the water, maybe even more.

Of course I will then need to find someone to buy both single trailers, and then find a double that wont break the bank. But my thoughts right now are to offer the guy $300, but no more then $400.

Thoughts?
    I just did a slt750 & spent $ 300.00 alone on getting fuel system up to par
    & then another $ 200.00 on pto cyl,piston machine work,gasket set, etc.Ive got around $ 800.00 total into this boat that includes purchase price. Before you start buying parts I would suggest doing a leak down test & indexing the crank.& figure out why it holed a piston.

+1
    no more than $400 I agree.

$40 to bore/hone
    $30 gaskets
    $75 new piston kit
    $100 fuel system cleanup

If the crank isn't hosed that not a bad deal

Went and looked at it tonight. Not all that bad, but definatly not worth the asking price.

PTO piston/cylinder is shot, will need to sleeve it along with a new piston. Did start & run the ski for a couple of seconds so there isn't too much damage to the rest of the engine.
    digital meter doesn't work
    mentioned that previous owner had "jumped the fuel sender with a resister so it wouldn't go into limp mode" This make sense to anyone?
    Hood has crack, should be replaced, but could be glassed for a temp fix, and easy to do with what i have in the garage.
    Battery is at least there, just needs charging, so that is a plus.
    Trailer isn't all that great, but I'll end up selling it to get a double trailer.

All in all it's not bad, but definatly needing work. Will see if the seller takes my offer tomorrow. Storm came through so I didn't want to stand in the rain & talk about it then.

Jumping the sending unit with a resistor simulates a full tank, I had to do that with my fuel and oil tank sending unit, being both were shot & I eliminated oil tank.

Thread Information