Is a cast piston engine safe at 8,100 rpm?

Thinking of repitching prop to get my 03 to 8,100. Safe? Stock 185 except for rxp ecu and 58 pound fuel pressure regulator. Bob

+1
    Yes, they are very safe. Rapidaccelleration has a 2 rude on his set up with a RXP flywheel, External IC and stuff.

Ray Sundance has a XSCer with IC and upgraded RXP flywheel Etc. His boat runs Strong.

Go for it.

+1

More opinions required

Quote Originally Posted by caflashbob View Post
    Thinking of repitching prop to get my 03 to 8,100. Safe? Stock 185 except for rxp ecu and 58 pound fuel pressure regulator. Bob
    If the cast pistons were safe to run in the 215 configuration, the factory would have used them to save money I am sure. Get a few more opinions before you go on that one as with the increase in revs comes an increase in boost and you have no intercooler so charge air will heat more.
    Ask the question, how many people have done this and run ok long term?
    Hope that helps.

+1
    Rapid has a ton of Hard abused hours and Ray Sundance has well over a 100.

+1
    I almost did that mod few years ago. All the information that I could get my hands on was it would be safe to run 215 setup on cast pistons. In fact several had good experience even with green wheel. IMO, you need to be careful above 10 psi on cast.
    Good fueling and tune would determine how safe it is. If your going to crack the case then put in some forged. I have set of forged that are in spec That I would make You a good deal as I have done with You in the past.

Yes you did. Just the repitch I think. Steve friebe at clawsons said no problem either. Need more range than sea doos are capable of as most of our rides currently or planned need much longer range. Brand H goes 125 miles on my old one and their new one goes 140. Want to do the San Juan arm of lake powell. 125 miles one way no gas. Buddies did it years ago with racks for extra tanks. 33 gallons total it took them. PVC racks for the gas. Why not? New brand H over the long run. Excellent turning longer range. But since you sold me the rpx ecu and regulator it runs a lot better. Woke it up enough for us old people. Now to see what 8,100 will run like. Thought I read here that this works fine. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    I almost did that mod few years ago. All the information that I could get my hands on was it would be safe to run 215 setup on cast pistons. In fact several had good experience even with green wheel. IMO, you need to be careful above 10 psi on cast.
    Good fueling and tune would determine how safe it is. If your going to crack the case then put in some forged. I have set of forged that are in spec That I would make You a good deal as I have done with You in the past.

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    yes, ive been running a RR ECU at 8500RPM and a rude 2 with external IC, 215 gear set and my open loop kit on my 03 GTX 185block..

stock cast pistons, stock valvetrain.

got over 175 hr and 5 years on the setup so far.

oh and I HAMMER THE PISS OUTA my boat.
    full throttle all the time for long lake rides.

I know im lucky but "screw it" "ride hard and put it away wet"
    we can always rebuild if need be.

Thread Information