Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

02 Virage i 800 troubleshooting

I just bought another ski, 2002 Virage i 800 Fuel Injection. Just when I was starting to get comfortable with my 98 1050 and 2000 pro 1200 I had to put this in the mix. I'm crazy right? I got this ski for a gold deal knowing that it doesn't run. The ski has 20 hours on it and is immaculate in and out. I cant even find one scratch on the thing. The previous owner took it to a general ski tech after it wouldn't start up this season and the tech said the problem is the computer or injectors. The ski seems to have been properly winterized. These are the things that I have checked so far. Put a new battery in it. I learned from you guys these need a good strong battery. Voltage while cranking is 11.6 volts. The fuel is good, I am getting spark, and compression is good. It will try to start and fire up for a brief second then will stop. It is firing to the point where a good amount of exaust will come out while cranking but it wont idle. I know that k447 has a lot of knowledge with these skis so if you could help me with the troubleshooting I would appreciate it or anyone else who could help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I just picked up a non-running Virage i myself a few months ago
    About to water test it in the next few days. Needed an EMM repair.

Check the voltage on your White/Red wires (measured from any White/Red to ground), without unplugging an injector. Should be over 20 volts while cranking.

Check the fuel pressure.

Dribble some fuel down the intakes, then see if it will start.

Unplug the TPS, see if it will start.

Make sure the correct spark plugs are installed - NGK PZFR6H, no substitutes.

Report back
    Last edited by K447; 06-27-2010 at 11:25 AM.

+1
    I performed all the test you outlined and here is what I got.

Voltage on Red/white starts out at 19 volts and goes to 30-38 as I crank the engine and rpm increases.

Fuel Pressure- I plugged the fuel pressure gauge in the fitting and I have 0 psi when I crank the engine. You said that I should have about 20 psi so where should I go next with this problem?

Dribbled fuel down the intake. No change I would think it would run at least for 10-20 seconds by doing this.

Unplugged the Tps. No change

The correct plugs are in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    ...Fuel Pressure- I plugged the fuel pressure gauge in the fitting and I have 0 psi when I crank the engine. You said that I should have about 20 psi so where should I go next with this problem?

Dribbled fuel down the intake. No change
    I would think it would run at least for 10-20 seconds by doing this.

Unplugged the TPS. No change

The correct plugs are in.
    Well, right now I am thinking the EMM needs repair.

The low fuel pressure you can investigate by turning the fuel pump on manually. Ground the Brown wire with the engine off.

The fuel pump should run, and you should see fuel pressure. If you don't then the pump either has no power (check for battery power at the pump connector), or it needs to be fixed (pressure regulator fallen out, or pump just gone bad).

The fact that it won't run even with fuel dribbled down the intake is the thing that makes me think the EMM has a problem.

Check the CPS ohms, just in case.

You say it has spark, yet it won't run when primed with fuel. That implies that the spark timing is just way out of whack. And that means the EMM is probably in trouble.

I suggest sending the EMM off the DFI, and see what they say.

OR find another working EMM (two cylinder Virage i only), and try it.
    Last edited by K447; 06-27-2010 at 11:24 AM.

+1
    I am going to pull the emm today and send it off to DFI. Before I do it I'm going to try to run the pump manually. The brown wire your talking about is that the one that comes off the fuel pump connector? I did check the cps and it read 152 ohms. Thanks again for your help. Hopefully I'll hear something from DFI next week.

+1
    ...I'm going to try to run the pump manually. The brown wire your talking about is that the one that comes off the fuel pump connector?...
    Yes, the Brown wire is the one that connects at the fuel pump connector on top of the fuel tank.

Call DFI before you send your EMM to them. Confirm the shipping address, and what the expected turn around time might be.

Make sure you put a sticker right on the EMM with your name, phone number and address. Helps them not loose track of which EMM belongs to which customer

Also put a sticker on the EMM describing the problem symptoms, and list the injector serial numbers and cylinders (MAG, CEN, PTO). They can check that the correct serial numbers are programmed into your EMM (just in case your injectors have been changed at some point).

Ship it with a tracking number, then call them a day or two after it arrives to confirm they have it, and find out when they will be working on it.

+1
    Called DFI this morning and they said a capacitor was bad and is a very common problem with these emms. Should be ready early next week. Pretty good turn around time considering they just got it yesterday.

+1
    Well I called dfi today and check the status on my emm and they said the repair they made isn't working. They replaced a capacitor. They will keep on working on it but advised me that the emm may not be repairable. If it comes down to that what are my options and what kind of money will it set me back? The estimate once they looked at the emm was $540. Anybody here have one that wasn't repairable?

+1
    ...the emm may not be repairable. If it comes down to that what are my options and what kind of money will it set me back? The estimate once they looked at the emm was $540.

Anybody here have one that wasn't repairable?
    Sometimes they are not fixable. It happens.

Did they say whether it was the power section or computer section that was bad?

You can hunt around for another good used Virage i EMM. No three cylinder EMM will do, only the two cylinder Polaris Virage i EMM will work.

DFI can then transfer your injector data from the old EMM to the replacement. You then install the replacement EMM with your current injectors.

OR you can buy a good used EMM with a pair of matching injectors. That you can directly installing onto your engine (EMM and injectors), without DFI doing anything.

+1
    I am not sure if it is the power or computer side they are having problems with. When I talk to them I will ask. I budgeted to spend between $500-800 on the repair but with this news it looks like it's going up. Oh well, stuff happens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information