Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

1994 Raider; cracked exhaust pipe

If its not something going wrong with one ski, its something going wrong with the other .

So I start my Waveraider, for the first time this year. Its on the trailer and I don't turn the garden hose on at first because I know I can let it run for a few seconds and not worry about overheating that quickly. The engine starts and immediately I notice a good bit of exhaust smoke in the engine compartment. When I stopped the engine, smoke continued to slowly come out.

My wife grabbed a make-up mirror and using a flashlight, we could see a crack in this exhaust pipe:

The crack is down past where my finger is pointing and there is no way I can take a picture of it but I just wanted to show what piece of the exhaust system I was talking about.

Anyway, I decided to hook up the garden hose and start the engine just to see what would happen. The engine started and what I noticed was no more smoke in the engine compartment coming out of the crack. Obviously some water was coming out of it, though.

We've got family coming in this weekend for a big boating/jet skiing weekend. I'm wondering if I can just go ahead and try to run this ski but keep it close to the boat ramp. I know that water will be leaking into the engine compartment but don't these skis have a "water suction" hose to remove bilge water? I can see a "device" right under the impeller shaft that has a hose that goes up and then out of the rear bulkhead of the engine compartment. If I look at the jet pump, I can see a hose coming out of the back of the ski and it is connected to a metal fitting that goes into the jet pump and it looks like it uses a venturi effect to pull water out of the hull .

Okay, I know all this sounds like a stupid idea and I shouldn't even think about running the ski. What are your thoughts?

+1
    Cheap part...talk to Lee....he's got 50 in his basement!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    Cheap part...talk to Lee....he's got 50 in his basement!
    I think I might have one for ya will have to look or would you like an aftermarket pipe cheap Mike in FL I have no basement! You go 3 feet and we are in the water

+1
    I was talking about under the bed /bonk

+1
    Yeah, I'm 6' above sea level and very close to the beach. No basements here in northeast FL either .

Lee, if you could take a look and see if you've got that part of the exhaust pipe that I'm pointing to in the picture, that would be great.

As far as aftermarket pipes go, I've actually got one brand new in the box. Its a Coffman pipe and I've got a thread where I ask questions about it:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62649

It sounds like the Coffman pipe has reliability issues with bolts wanting come loose. My ski has always been 100% reliable and I'm not sure that I want to worry about exhaust bolts coming loose. Not only that, but I posted in another forum and the replies there weren't any more encouraging. On the other hand, I sure would like to see a few more mph out of this ski!

I'm sure that some of the other brands of aftermarket pipes are better.

+1
    Oh, do you guys think that I can still run the ski this weekend or is that just the most moronic idea in the world?

+1
    Might not be smart to run it You could always try J-Bweld. Have a bud with a welder Fastest solution

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    Might not be smart to run it You could always try J-Bweld. Have a bud with a welder Fastest solution
    I'll call my "paint and body shop" buddy tomorrow. He's a big time jet ski guy and I know he can weld. Maybe he can fix it up quickly .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    I'll call my "paint and body shop" buddy tomorrow. He's a big time jet ski guy and I know he can weld. Maybe he can fix it up quickly .
    Might not look pretty but it can work. Have done it before on a blaster and a raider

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information