Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Basics For GSX and XP?

Hello,

New SEA DOO owner here. My bro and I just bought a 96 GSX and 97 XP. Both are from the original owner and are in pretty darn nice shape. We brought them to a shop to trade the two trailers in on one double and he said we had to do some stuff and I wanted to run it by the pros to see if there is some wrenching we can do ourselves.

The grey lines. I know we can do this and I've seen the thread. Is there anything more than changing the lines and cleaning the screens out on the carbs? The boats still run strong, but I know I need to do this anyway, I'd just rather not spend $450 a piece to do it.

The exhaust gasket. It has the tell tale sign, or so he told me, of the black line on the bottom of the pipe. Do I need to change this and if so, how hard is it. Again, $100 a piece is pretty pricey when the gasket is just $12.

A broken, or loose front motor mount on the GSX. Can I get to that without taking out the engine or any part that would need special tools, and if so, is it fairly easy for a home mechanic?

The trim is broken on the GSX. Not really important I guess. I looks like the boot on the back is cracked and the guy said that it would probably be the motor for the trim and/or the switch. Both parts $600, plus install.

Gas gauge not working on the XP. I think I saw a fix for that on here. I'll check that out.

Anyway, all else looks good. Looks like the top ends have never been off and both cylinders blow 150 lbs. Shop guy said it looked like the guy ran XRP oil. Paint is still shiny and no cracks in the gel coat to speak off. Seats don't even have cracks in em.

Thanks for your time in advance for all the replies. I'll tell you one thing that was good about that shop. They told me about this site and I can see I'll be spending some time on here.

+1
    Welcome to GH.

Yes, change out those grey fuel lines & rebuild your carbs with genuine OEM parts. Install a new fuel & oil filter, ensure your fuel selector is cleaned, check all your gaskets & replace if needed. Yes you can replace front motor mounts without taking out your engine. Clean your rave valves. Ensure your drain plugs do not have a torn o'ring & cracked gasket - replace them.

I'd recommend Amsoil Interceptor, great oil.

+1
    This is a good illustration that may come in handy for your GSX - or follow the LINK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2299_17S9605.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	190305  

Is it necessary to rebuild the carbs or can I just give them a thorough cleaning like as described in the DIY Fuel System Cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by TNDragon View Post
    Is it necessary to rebuild the carbs or can I just give them a thorough cleaning like as described in the DIY Fuel System Cleaning?

Why spend all that time tearing something apart and cleaning it and then not put a rebuild kit in it? Just a thought. You are going through a ski you just purchased.

sea doo forum

Hey try sea doo forum. The have downloads to all sea doo skis . gl

Well to be honest Ron, I am a little intimidated by tearing a carb down. I can see me now, bringing my Sea Doos into the guy that wanted to do this stuff for me and ask him to fix what I broke by doing it myself.

The skis run good right now, and no one really mentions a rebuild in the DIY for changing out the lines and cleaning the carbs. That and the fact that the rebuild kits are like $50 a piece I think.

+1
    Go to Autozone and buy a 10 dollar impact screw driver. That is pretty much the only special tool you need to do the carbs.

Hit every screw with that first as it will keep them from stripping out on you. If they are REALLY bad (as in rusted, the screws inside are not stainless) then you may have a few break if you do not soak them in PB blaster for a while.

Other than that, working with a Mikuni carb is not that difficult.

If, however, you just do not feel up to the task you are in luck. One of the best 2-stroke SD guys around is in East Tennessee. He is on here as DavidHX-RXP (or something like that, we usually call him Alphabet). I think he is still going by Twin Lakes Sea Doo in Louisville.

You will get your money's worth when dealing with him and your stuff will be squared away. I say this as a customer and a friend.

Thanks for the tip Krunchov

EDIT: I looked up Twin Lakes Sea Doo, they are in Friendsville a scant few miles from me.

+1
    Friendsville, Lousiville, all the same to those of us who live (or rather lived, though we still have a house there) on the other side of the lake (Loudon, that is).

We hunted many a 40+ foot cruiser on that stretch between Ft. Loudon Dam and Choto Marina. Sometimes we went all the way up to Concord, but it is rather tight up that way, and things can get a bit too interesting...

Ah, those were the days...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information