+1

Piston wash pics!

Pulled my head off to find a problem and wanted to get the Greenhulk take on my piston wash. First pic is #1 with the prob then #2 then #3. I am getting water in #1 for sure. When I pulled the plugs on shore the waves were crashing into the rear of the ski and I could see steam come out of #1 every time the waves hit. I figure its a gasket somewhere but so far how does it look. Mods are F/A jetted properly, D-Plate and riva chip thats it. This setup worked perfect last season. The loss of power started the first ride this season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1270.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	190317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1271.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	190318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	190319  

LEAN on the 1st two...PTO is slightly better, but still lean. Just because you saw steam coming out of the MAG (#1) when waves hit, doesn't mean you have a water leak. If the MAG piston was down, exposing the exhaust port, I could see that happening, as the water was hitting the through hull exhaust exit, and pushing the exhaust gas back into the cylinder. Also, if you had water getting in that cylinder, you'd have the carbon washed off the piston dome.

What brand pistons are those?

+1
    WSM pistons . And is that not carbon washed off by the intake? I could run it normaly for about 5 minutes hitting wide open full power, then it would bog down. Both times I was right by the dock so I loaded up right away. Compression was 115 on all three. And I think I know what you are saying about the steam just never thought that was posible. Wonder what could cause my problem then. Crap.

There is a difference between carbon being washed off by fuel leaving the transfer ports (normal operation) and carbon being washed off by water intrusion. I don't see any evidence that you are having a water intrusion issue.

Those must not be the WSM "platinums"...which are what I'm running. Mine have smooth, anodized tops.

Here's a pic of mine..and what the "wash" looks like on a safe setup. See how much more "clean" area there is around the edges of the piston...and how they don't look so dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPR wash.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	190337  

+1
    Well, guess I will look at the simple stuff before adjusting my carbs. My petcock is a bit stiff now that I think of it. Havent dont the fuel flap/baffle mod but crap I don't want to yank the motor or can I get to it from the front? Spark looked OK but could only happen when it warms up i guess.

Totally agree, Thats lean for shure!
    You can remove the plastic trap from the fuel pickup through the front entry.

Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    My petcock is a bit stiff now that I think of it.

that's what she said

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    that's what she said
    Why the hell does everyone say this! ERRR
    L O L

+1
    I had a small water leak after rebuilding my ski. I found it the same way...by pulling the head and checking the wash after break in. I found very light galling and aluminum transfer on the cylinder wall that was inline with the leaks origin. Do you have anything like that going on? Was the cylinder you suspect to be leaking replated? Was any 1211 or sealer used on the base gaskets? Check out this post. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99202

+1
    Didn't use any 1211 on the base gasket, cylinders should be OEM and not replated. My pistons should not be that lean if I have this set up right? The ski runs good for about 10 min then bogs bad. I think I have an air leak now.

1200R Aftermarket F/A's chokes intact

·

• 110 Pilot jets, 1 turn out on low speed adjusters
      • 120 main jets, 1-1/2 turn out on high speed adjusters
      • 1.5Needle and Seat, 95 gram spring (Dull Silver) 42-45 avg. pop-off pressure.

Thread Information