Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GP1200 Bogging on take off only. Any Advice?

Hi, my 99 gp1200 ran great last year (80 original hours), no problems. I fogged the motor and added seafoam to a full tank last fall. I also took off the oil injection pump and put the block off plate on and plugged the oil fittings on the intake. Running close to 50:1, maybe a little richer. Ski idles and revs great thru all rpm on the water hose and on the floating dock but as soon as i put it in the water and give it a load it bogs down and will die. I have to feather the throttle to get it up on a plane. But as soon as it gets up it'll run perfect. I can slow down to a crawl and get on it again no problem. I thought maybe it was running to rich so i swapped plugs (old ones didnt look to bad), same problem getting going but once up ran for about 30 mins then let sit for couple hours then wouldnt start. pulled plugs, they looked to clean like not getting enough fuel? pulled choke in and out for a few bumps and finally got it going and ran fine at mid-wot but fell on its face trying to drive back up the dock. Carbs have never been rebuilt to my knowledge. And there is fuel in the filter. So Iam leaning towards clogged carbs, but why will it run perfect on the hose? Just had a thought, the old owner had NGK BR9ES which are a little longer than the yamaha recomended BR8HS that i put in over the winter. Could this be it??? A different temperature range? Sorry this is so long, just trying to be as detailed as possible. Thanks in advance for any input, Dan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal2k5 View Post

I added seafoam to a full tank last fall.

Running close to 50:1, maybe a little richer.

Carbs have never been rebuilt to my knowledge.

And there is fuel in the filter.
    There are your problems. Don't use fuel additives. You should be running 40:1, so your engine is not getting enough oil. And you really need your carbs rebuilt and a new filter.

I live in Illinois not Houston so up here we have to winterize our skis which is why i used seafoam. Some dont like it, others swear by it, either way thats not the problem, as for the oil, the plugs were black so i know oil is not an issue, again there are other people on here running 50:1 but iam sure iam closer to 40:1. Filter should be good seeing as how it runs great at WOT, so it has no problem with flow as it sucks down the gas. Ill go along with the carb rebuild tho, but i still think its something else.

+1
    As far as the sea foam, youre right, some people love it, some people wont touch it, who knows....
    Mine was doing the same thing, a 97-1200. I ran some sea foam through it and it seems to have gotten better.
    I've talked to a cpl. people about it and it appears they all agree it's the carbs needing a rebuild.
    Just for age sakes alone and my issue/safety, I went ahead ordered the rebuild kits myself. Sounds like you might need the same.

Check over at Parker Yamaha I believe it is - $40 for each kit.

Good Luck!

+1
    I've already ordered the rebuild kits - regardless I am rebuilding.
    BUT I just took the air cover off and the 2 of the rubber cup looking things where laying inside the casing, could this cause the bogging I seem to be having....

Thanks for the input. That's weird keep me updated.

+1
    I live in Illinois not Houston so up here we have to winterize our skis which is why i used seafoam either way thats not the problem,

There have been numerous people reporting problems with seals being destroyed and internal carb problems by using additives. It's your call.

as for the oil, the plugs were black so i know oil is not an issue, again there are other people on here running 50:1 but iam sure iam closer to 40:1.

Plugs being "black" does not indicate whether you have sufficient oil. If you want to keep running 50:1, go for it.

Filter should be good seeing as how it runs great at WOT, so it has no problem with flow as it sucks down the gas.

You should not determine whether your filter is bad by this method. This implies you will know the filter is bad when you start getting lean seizures at WOT.

Ill go along with the carb rebuild tho, but i still think its something else.

Funny how you asked for advice from people who have been doing this a long time, then tell us how we're wrong. Good luck.

+1
    Does your idle adjustment need adjusted? Maybe it needs opened up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    I live in Illinois not Houston so up here we have to winterize our skis which is why i used seafoam either way thats not the problem,

There have been numerous people reporting problems with seals being destroyed and internal carb problems by using additives. It's your call.

as for the oil, the plugs were black so i know oil is not an issue, again there are other people on here running 50:1 but iam sure iam closer to 40:1.

Plugs being "black" does not indicate whether you have sufficient oil. If you want to keep running 50:1, go for it.

Filter should be good seeing as how it runs great at WOT, so it has no problem with flow as it sucks down the gas.

You should not determine whether your filter is bad by this method. This implies you will know the filter is bad when you start getting lean seizures at WOT.

Ill go along with the carb rebuild tho, but i still think its something else.

Funny how you asked for advice from people who have been doing this a long time, then tell us how we're wrong. Good luck.
    Just because your giving me advice that I am asking for doesn't automatically make you right but thanks for your input.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal2k5 View Post
    Just because your giving me advice that I am asking for doesn't automatically make you right but thanks for your input.
    Wow someone has a piss pour additude. Theres another site for people like you. its starts with www.pwc im sure you can figure out the rest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information