+1

Riva vs r&d rideplate, air intake questions

Guys,
    1st Question: Trying to decide which RIDEPLATE to purchase, Riva OR R&D? I've searched the forum for 'Rideplate' & found some very useful info, but at the same time most of it is 1+ year old. I've noticed the 'new' Riva plate is coated black. Is there any advantage to this or is it only the color is different? I also read in one thread that the Riva plate was 'new' in '08. I read the post by SPUD and was thinking on eventually modifying but for now I'd like to just install & ride. I'll MOD the plate when I add intake grate, prop & head.

2nd Question: When the Riva flame arresstor is installed, do you keep your stock air-box or leave the filter 'open' on the motor with no air box? I would assume the stock venting would allow cooler, denser air flow but not sure if the box itself is restrictive.

'08 GPR 1300R
    -cut away plastic on right side for more airflow
    -R&D D-plate
    Everything else stock

*Future MODS:
    -Ride Plate
    -High flow air filter/flame arrestor
    **Future future MODS:
    -Prop (probably 14/20)
    -Riva head
    -MOD rideplate
    -seal pump
    -1200 intake grate

Thanks guys!!

Ok this is the Rideplate you should buy- http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=892

Its the R&D 1300 plate with skegs. This is the best all around plate for handling and speed. You should gain 2-3mph with just bolting it on. Later on you can send it to JIM here on the forum to mod it for even more speed. The painted ones doesn't make a difference...it usually flakes off anyways.

I'm going to save you alittle money....don't buy a filter at all. Your ski doesn't have an air filter on it now....and it you put the little filter on the end of the air box it will actually rob some power. You can either remove the air box all together... or disconnect the hose on the end of the air box and just run the open air box. It flows well.

A couple of other things. Go ahead and mod your sponsons. Do a search for stepped sponsons and read how to do it. This will help handling and top speed.

You really need to get an aftermarket intake grate on there soon. Do a search and read why. Especially when you install the rideplate and gain speed. The stock one is known to throw you off.

On your head...you can save more money and just send your stock head to Jim's Performance and have it modded. Works just as good.

If your good with tools... think about adding a keyway in your mods. Contact WFO here on the board for one. Very time consuming to install but they are cheap at around $50-$60 and will gain accelleration and at least .5 - .7 mph on top speed. Just do a search and you will find plently info.

+1

Riva vs r&d rideplate, air intake questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ronn25 View Post
    A couple of other things. Go ahead and mod your sponsons. Do a search for stepped sponsons and read how to do it. This will help handling and top speed.

You really need to get an aftermarket intake grate on there soon. Do a search and read why. Especially when you install the rideplate and gain speed. The stock one is known to throw you off.

On your head...you can save more money and just send your stock head to Jim's Performance and have it modded. Works just as good.

If your good with tools... think about adding a keyway in your mods. Contact WFO here on the board for one. Very time consuming to install but they are cheap at around $50-$60 and will gain accelleration and at least .5 - .7 mph on top speed. Just do a search and you will find plently info.
    I agree! Go with the R&D ride plate.

Get an intake grate
    look at a new prop
    seal your pump and pump shoe
    Reinforce your pump tunnel

Gut out your stock air intake and remove flame arrestors. Add a riva filter if you want. (I did to keep it coast guard legal)

Keyway and milled head are a must if you want to increase speed and acceleration

Jetworks is an awesome mod as well

+1
    Ronn25 & Mike's GPR, thanks for the response!

Ronn25, yes, I'm OK w/ turning a wrench so I can do the work myself

Mke, Thanks for the advise!

above all else you gotta reinforce your pump tunnel, and then seal your pump shoe, and add an intake grate.

Thread Information