Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    abracadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, FL United States of America
    Posts
    2,046
    +1
    180

    Thumbs up Home made power shot

    Hello everyone,

    As you probably know by now I'm running a full Riva stage III, However I have been thinking and would like to share an idea with you for anyone looking for performance not having the budget for an ECU. As we all know the factory ECU doesn't like to see more than 6 LBS on the intake manifold so it was not possible to use a BIG BOOST wheel like the E-1. I have an idea that will save the cost and limitations of a power shot. We can install a pressure regulator between the MAP sensor and the intake manifold and have it set to 6 LBS so that the ECU never reads more than 6 LBS, then install a RRFPR to compensate for the extra BOOST. This set up will allow us to squish every drop of BOOST out of an E-1 wheel at 7600 RPM. I'm attaching pictures of a $40.00 pressure regulator as well as a $120.00 RRFPR. If anyone is welling to try this set up, please let me know what the results are. Thanks and good luck, Julio...

    Micro pressure regulator http://www.omega.com/pptst/AR91_AR92.html

    Fuel pressure regulator http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-13109/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Presure regulator 2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	190345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RRFPR.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	190346  


  2. #2
    desperado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    453
    +1
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    Hello everyone,

    As you probably know by now I'm running a full Riva stage III, However I have been thinking and would like to share an idea with you for anyone looking for performance not having the budget for an ECU. As we all know the factory ECU doesn't like to see more than 6 LBS on the intake manifold so it was not possible to use a BIG BOOST wheel like the E-1. I have an idea that will save the cost and limitations of a power shot. We can install a pressure regulator between the MAP sensor and the intake manifold and have it set to 6 LBS so that the ECU never reads more than 6 LBS, then install a RRFPR to compensate for the extra BOOST. This set up will allow us to squish every drop of BOOST out of an E-1 wheel at 7600 RPM. I'm attaching pictures of a $40.00 pressure regulator as well as a $120.00 RRFPR. If anyone is welling to try this set up, please let me know what the results are. Thanks and good luck, Julio...
    This will work for fueling. However, ignition timing advance can not be compensated by this type of system -- timing advance will likely be excessive for an E1.

  3. #3
    abracadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, FL United States of America
    Posts
    2,046
    +1
    180

    Timing

    Quote Originally Posted by desperado View Post
    This will work for fueling. However, ignition timing advance can not be compensated by this type of system -- timing advance will likely be excessive for an E1.
    Even if you stay at 7600 RPM? Thank you, Julio...

  4. #4
    desperado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    453
    +1
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    Even if you stay at 7600 RPM? Thank you, Julio...
    It's even worst at 7,600rpm compared to 8,000rpm+.... low rpm and high boost requires less timing. Given a constant boost pressure, a typical timing map will advance ignition timing as rpm increases. Here, the constant is rpm @ 7,600 and the variable is boost..... the more boost at 7,600rpm the less timing there should be.

    I believe the stock ECU features a maximum timing advance of 20 degrees at WOT @ 6psi. If this is the case, it is conservative. In comparison, Motec has set base ignition timing advance at around 24 degrees @ 180kpa..... at 7,500rpm. That being said, the conservative timing map from Yamaha designed for regular pump gas might just work fine with the E1 on premium pump gas.

  5. #5
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    Jim from Jim's Performance came up with the idea of a pressure relief valve months ago and actually used it.

    Also there is no chance of just a rising rate regulator safely adding enough fuel to support the E1 wheel. The powershot performs two main tasks. 1, it intercepts the map sensor signal and modifies it to bypass the boost limiter. 2, it adds fuel by holding the injectors open longer. Your solution of a boost bleed off valve only gets you around the boost limiter but does nothing to supply extra fueling. I actually doubt that you will even be able to sustain safe, reliable fuel pressure using just a RRFPR, even trying to compensate enough to support a B1 wheel.

    I also don't believe the issue of ignition timing will even come into play because I am told the stock timing is almost 0 degrees advance.

    Just some food for thought.

  6. #6
    abracadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, FL United States of America
    Posts
    2,046
    +1
    180

    Thumbs up Timing

    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Jim from Jim's Performance came up with the idea of a pressure relief valve month ago an actually used it.

    Also there is no chance of just a rising rate regulator safely adding enough fuel to support the E1 wheel. The powershot performs two main tasks. 1, it intercepts the map sensor signal and modifies it to bypass the boost limiter. 2, it adds fuel by holding the injectors open longer. Your solution of a boost bleed off valve only gets you around the boost limiter but does nothing to supply extra fueling. I actually doubt that you will even be able to sustain safe, reliable fuel pressure using just a RRFPR, even trying to compensate enough to support a B1 wheel.

    I also don't believe the issue of ignition timing will even come into play because I am told the stock timing is almost 0 degrees advance.

    Just some food for thought.

    Great info, thanks, Julio...

  7. #7
    I'm actually working on a remap sollution for the SHO , first testings where a hughe succes ( gained 12mph on a full stock ski , which was 2mph more than our test with the motec ecu ) and the big advantage of the ecu remap is that you can perfectly balance fuel/timing/rpm limitation , I think that in the end the ecu remap is a very cheap sollution to get the power gains a Motec can bring you , the remap is about 500USD , the motec 1500USD i believe

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno_Shiftech View Post
    I'm actually working on a remap sollution for the SHO , first testings where a hughe succes ( gained 12mph on a full stock ski , which was 2mph more than our test with the motec ecu ) and the big advantage of the ecu remap is that you can perfectly balance fuel/timing/rpm limitation , I think that in the end the ecu remap is a very cheap sollution to get the power gains a Motec can bring you , the remap is about 500USD , the motec 1500USD i believe
    I wish the motec was only 1500USD....I would have one...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    J

    I also don't believe the issue of ignition timing will even come into play because I am told the stock timing is almost 0 degrees advance.
    Not true , I have the yamaha YDIS ( diagnostic interface ) and on a stock ski we measured 16 to 20 degrees BTDC at full throttle , more than 20° is not possible with stock ECU because that's the max value in the ignition timing limitation map, of course that can be changed with a remap

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar71 View Post
    I wish the motec was only 1500USD....I would have one...
    really , is it that expensive , I was told they come as of 1500USD , anyway you really don't need the motec , anything you need can be modified inside the stock ECU

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How to: home made catch can.
    By The Bandit in forum Sea Doo How To & FAQs
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 04-09-2015, 12:06 AM
  2. Anyone have Pics of VX R&D POWER PLENUM AIR FILTER KIT/Home Made kit on?
    By Monsterguy in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 12:47 PM
  3. Home made Exhaust
    By Rompe21 in forum Videos & Pictures
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-30-2006, 07:42 PM
  4. HOME-MADE THROUGH-HULL EXHAUST
    By peteshauling in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 07:44 AM
  5. HOME MADE COLD AIR KIT FOR OUR SKIS **
    By CRAZEDRXP in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 07:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •