Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

SBT apology? if u care ?

Message from Greg Pickren of SBT
    Since there seems to be interest about the behind the scenes operations and decisions at SBT concerning PWCToday, I’ll offer some insights. As a company, and like most other companies, we are typically not this open. But given the events over the past days, I feel it’s appropriate.

For those of you that don’t know me, I own SBT along with a couple of other companies including Sterndrive Engineering. SBT is the largest player in the PWC aftermarket. The company has remanufactured over 55,000 PWC engines during its nine year history. We will build over 10,000 engines this year alone. We also sell a full line of parts including crankshafts, pistons, pump parts, gaskets, etc.

SBT bought PWCToday from Rob Kennedy a week before Christmas last year. Since it was a transaction between two private parties, the amount we paid will stay that way. But I will say that it was significant. The task of integrating PWCToday into our other IT operations went to Bryan Glynn. I must say he did an outstanding job. Within weeks after the purchase, the site was more stable, more user friendly and faster. We have experienced virtually zero downtime this entire year, the site is loaded with new features, and membership has more than doubled.

SBT has about 100 employees. Bryan is not a direct report of mine. He works for our Technical Manager Phil Friedlander. He maintains a network of over 25 PC’s at SBT and provides PWC tech support via telephone during work hours and via internet almost 24/7. Bryan is technically very competent and works hard. But like many technically oriented people, his diplomatic skills are not the best and a moderator type job is not necessarily his best fit. He had plenty of work to do before PWCToday, and he still has plenty to do now for us now. So yes, he still works at SBT.

Since acquiring this site, there have been two aspects of owning it for which we have struggled – dealing with incorrect statements concerning SBT and the promotion of competing forums. I’ll be the first to tell you SBT is not perfect. We make mistakes and it hurts reading about them on the internet. I lose sleep over it. However, it also hurts to read statements that are simply incorrect or even libelous about our company. Our employees are very proud and they hate this. Especially when they are posted by someone that does not understand what they are doing or talking about, or they simply wish to do harm to SBT. The knee jerk reaction is to want to somehow remedy the situation by actions such as bannings, deleting posts, exposing the obvious, etc. However, our new policy will be to “bite our tongue” or should I say “tape our fingers” and do nothing – even if the statements are not true. As we have learned, this is simply the best and only solution. As for competing sites, PWCToday is the largest forum on the internet. However, there will always be competition and we must face it. There is no getting around it by censoring PWCToday and we fully realize that now. So if someone wants to start a thread naming all the other sites, go for it.

The question that seems to be on many peoples minds is did I know what was going on at PWCToday. The answer for the most part is yes. Did I know everything? No. But I knew most and I am willing to take full responsibility for everything. Bryan has done a great job technically developing the site and he does not deserve all the abuse he is taking. If you want to blame someone for recent events, blame me. I am sorry.

As for the future direction of PWCToday, our goal when we acquired the site was to leave it as it was. We have drifted from this for a period of time recently, but I think we are back on track now. We have a great moderator in Stephanie and I am sure you guys will have fun getting to know her better. I plan on giving her a budget so that she can get more involved in either planning or attending events organized on PWCToday or other forums.

Now stop playing on the computer and go out and trash your engines one more time before summer is over. (BTW, winterizing is a total waste of time.) Thanks for your continued support of SBT and PWCToday.

Greg Pickren
    President and Owner
    SBT
    Last edited by GregPickren : Today at 02:00 PM.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    Well....it's a start....More than I had expected...

+1
    Lousy sense of humor with that stupid winetrizing isn't needed crap.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft
    Lousy sense of humor with that stupid winetrizing isn't needed crap.
    I agree, I think they need to be quit and just let the site run itself.

+1
    I'll take it for face value. Accepted.

+1
    He's a lying sack of dong and his comments are merely in self defense of his **** ups. He's only giving the people what they want to hear, he's at home having a laugh about the whole thing with Bryan.

+1
    Okay. Put it this way. We know that they are full of crap. We also know they ran the site into the ground. Publically (you better save it) they now admit they were wrong. What is left to do?

+1
    Not visit the site.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft
    Not visit the site.
    Well, that seems to be the case already.

+1
    Then how about ousting Pickerin? LOL I guess I've learned to dis-like the man, the place and the product all in one month (well the product took a few times and about 3 months). If the SBTtoday crew is happy, good for them. As for them I'll stay far, far away!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information