Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

driveshaft noise???

Bare with me guys. Im new to the pwc and not up todate on the lingo yet. So my dad gave me a 05 rxt with the broken flywheel mod. Ive pulled the engine down replaced the bolts with the new updated ones and also had to replace the stator. I also checked the oil pumps while I had it apart and didnt find any debris in the pumps or the screen. Well I got it all back together, fired right up and I have about 20 minutes of run time on the hose checking for leaks and such. Fired it up for the last time today before it makes its first lake trip and after about 5 mins of run time it started making a brrrrrr sound and I can see the driveshaft vibrating very fast. It also comes and goes ( vibrates for 5 secs then stops for 5 seconds). Im not sure what a pwc pump sounds like cavitating but the noise sounds similar to a hydraulic pump cavitating. Any ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow93coupe View Post
    Bare with me guys. Im new to the pwc and not up todate on the lingo yet. So my dad gave me a 05 rxt with the broken flywheel mod. Ive pulled the engine down replaced the bolts with the new updated ones and also had to replace the stator. I also checked the oil pumps while I had it apart and didnt find any debris in the pumps or the screen. Well I got it all back together, fired right up and I have about 20 minutes of run time on the hose checking for leaks and such. Fired it up for the last time today before it makes its first lake trip and after about 5 mins of run time it started making a brrrrrr sound and I can see the driveshaft vibrating very fast. It also comes and goes ( vibrates for 5 secs then stops for 5 seconds). Im not sure what a pwc pump sounds like cavitating but the noise sounds similar to a hydraulic pump cavitating. Any ideas?
    Your ski won't cavitate out of the water. Did you have the rubber driveshaft damper on when you installed the driveshaft? Have you checked the impeller nose cone?

Not sure but one thing you want to be careful of is running on the hose for to long as you can burn up your carbon ring. Also the ride plate can get REALLY hot as it is not sitting in the water for closed loop cooling. If the carbon ring is hot and binding that may be the vibrating noise? Will wait for some of the GURUS to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
    Your ski won't cavitate out of the water. Did you have the rubber driveshaft damper on when you installed the driveshaft? Have you checked the impeller cone?
    Rubber dampner??? Is that the rubber piece in the pto end side of the DS? I grabbed the cone and it was tight. Im not sure whats the proper way to check it. Im wondering if the shafts out of alighnment? Im not sure why that wouldnt of showed up before now though. I know I can watch the ds and it spins true without the noise and as soon as the noise starts you can see the shaft vibrating.

Quote Originally Posted by comish71 View Post
    Not sure but one thing you want to be careful of is running on the hose for to long as you can burn up your carbon ring. Also the ride plate can get REALLY hot as it is not sitting in the water for closed loop cooling. If the carbon ring is hot and binding that may be the vibrating noise? Will wait for some of the GURUS to chime in.
    You may be on to something there. I didnt run it for very long on the hose maybe 5 minutes at a time. But the boot which I guess the carbon ring is under was hot and the bearing was hot also.

+1
    Rubber dampner??? Is that the rubber piece in the pto end side of the DS?
    Yes.

Man I hate to pull that shaft back out. It gives me nothing but trouble and that bellows boot is a MF'ER.

+1
    I know I can watch the ds and it spins true without the noise and as soon as the noise starts you can see the shaft vibrating.
    I'd pull the pump back off and check everything - including the impeller's nose cone and the PTO end of the driveshaft.

Ok I pulled it back apart and the carbon ring looks fine but it doesnt fit tight around the drive shaft. Its supposed to right???

+1
    Ok I pulled it back apart and the carbon ring looks fine but it doesnt fit tight around the drive shaft. Its supposed to right???
    No. It doesn't fit snug around the drive shaft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information