Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

a few grp-sho conversion questions

so ive been doing alot of reading before i start the build but theres a few things im not to sure about..maybe some of you guys that have been thru it before can help me out.

1.FUEL TANK-- my hull is a 00 gpr, which is carb'd. i know i can use a newer grp efi fuel tank, but is there anyway to leave my tank and "convert" it? or maybe i can use the sho tank ..if itll fit

2.EXHAUST--from what ive read i know i have to have the stock sho manifold cut/welded to get rid of the bend. what do i use behind that. i believe i can use the sho waterbox but think its a really tight fit or use the gpr wb but have to have it modded somehow?

3. 2" PUMP EXTENSION-- since my gpr is a 00 and its before they started using the extension do i need to buy a used one and put it in the sho pump to get it to fit? and what other pieces will i need to use that pump?

thanks in advance for any help and other tips/tricks for this build would be greatly appreciated

+1
    1. your best bet is to use a efi gpr tank, you can rig your carb'd tank but, down the road it can fail as the carb tank doesnt have the supports to keep the fuel pump in place, and if you ever go jumpimg waves low on fuel your fuel pump is gonna be bouncing around.

2. you can, but dont have to cut the exhaust manifold and weld, check out jims gprsho build and youll see how he did it. go with the 1200r waterbox, havent tryed the sho water box in the gpr but i dont think it fits ( someone correct me if im wrong)

3. yes you need the 2'' extension, if you get the complete SHO drive line wonderfull, if not pm me, my SHO coupler is being modified so a gpr pump can be used, or a gpr skat pump

Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    3. yes you need the 2'' extension, if you get the complete SHO drive line wonderfull, if not pm me, my SHO coupler is being modified so a gpr pump can be used, or a gpr skat pump
    so if i have everything from the sho i will not need to buy the extension? i just leave the sho pump together and bolt it up, what about the trim/turn cables... will they be long enough?

and what fuel pump do i use? can i use the fuel pump from the sho in the gpr tank?

1) for the tank u can use the gp one with the sho pump. but u said u have the whole sho u can put the sho tank it fits

2)u have to cut and use a gp 1200 waterbox the sho fits but tight

3)u need the EXTENSION and the cables from the 1300

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by suckondeez View Post
    so if i have everything from the sho i will not need to buy the extension? i just leave the sho pump together and bolt it up, what about the trim/turn cables... will they be long enough?

and what fuel pump do i use? can i use the fuel pump from the sho in the gpr tank?
    You need to have the pump extension. You should be able to find one used in the classifieds. You also need the cable extensions and you can get them for Osidebill on the forum.

I used the efi tank and the SHO fuel pump. Bolted right on.

Quote Originally Posted by gprsho87 View Post
    1) for the tank u can use the gp one with the sho pump. but u said u have the whole sho u can put the sho tank it fits

2)u have to cut and use a gp 1200 waterbox the sho fits but tight

3)u need the EXTENSION and the cables from the 1300
    The SHO wb will fit, but a 1200 gutted wb works well and sounds better.

Hope this helps. Check out my build thread if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    1. your best bet is to use a efi gpr tank, you can rig your carb'd tank but, down the road it can fail as the carb tank doesnt have the supports to keep the fuel pump in place, and if you ever go jumpimg waves low on fuel your fuel pump is gonna be bouncing around.

2. you can, but dont have to cut the exhaust manifold and weld, check out jims gprsho build and youll see how he did it. go with the 1200r waterbox, havent tryed the sho water box in the gpr but i dont think it fits ( someone correct me if im wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    You need to have the pump extension. You should be able to find one used in the classifieds. You also need the cable extensions and you can get them for Osidebill on the forum.

I used the efi tank and the SHO fuel pump. Bolted right on.

The SHO wb will fit, but a 1200 gutted wb works well and sounds better.

Hope this helps. Check out my build thread if you haven't already.
    ive literally spent hours reading your thread these were just a few things i wasn't sure on..
    so last thing i dont get is i dont have to cut the exhaust manifold and have it re-welded straight?? i tried looking for a jim that has a sho conversion build but cant find anything

+1
    i tried looking for a jim that has a sho conversion build but cant find anything

here ya go mate thats because for some reason it was posted in the yamaha area and not conversion

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112552

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    here ya go mate thats because for some reason it was posted in the yamaha area and not conversion

thanks!!

+1
    ive literally spent hours reading your thread these were just a few things i wasn't sure on..
    so last thing i dont get is i dont have to cut the exhaust manifold and have it re-welded straight?? i tried looking for a jim that has a sho conversion build but cant find anything
    I don't believe Jim cut his manifold piece. Mine was done by Bruce at Riva.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post

A lot of people don't consider it a conversion because it's a Yamaha motor going into a Yamaha hull, therefore all Yamaha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information