Should I mix oil for break -in? 04 new rebuilt 777

I'm finally getting my 777 together. I spoke with a Polaris tech, he reccommended I mix some oil with the gas for break-in. I mentioned the owners manual says not to do it. He then said mix about 100 /1 ratio. Could this be harmful to the 2 electronic FI units? or anyhting else?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mainepilot View Post
    I'm finally getting my 777 together. I spoke with a Polaris tech, he reccommended I mix some oil with the gas for break-in. I mentioned the owners manual says not to do it. He then said mix about 100 /1 ratio. Could this be harmful to the 2 electronic FI units? or anyhting else?

some oil? uhhh.yeah. 40/1 is what I would do maybe even 32/1 for a tank full. that would be for a carbe'd engine.

On the polaris variable pump it goes 100/1 for idle, 40/1 WOT and 50/1 for cruising. or the constant oil pump does 50/1 all the time.

Is this a brand new engine? or just rings? theres a procedure for breaking in a new engine..

Did he say add oil to the tank in addition to the oil injection? Are yoiu running pre mix?? or just the oil injection?

Which polaris mechanic? there arent any.lol if he changed his mine to 100/1 out of the blue. I wouldn't take his advice.. sounds like he doesnt know what he's talking about..jmo

you can melt a engine down in 30 seconds if your not careful doing the right procedure..

use the correct 2-stroke oil also. what kind are you thinking of using? Just a few thoughts, I dont know the whole situation. more info please!

+1
    Is this a Virage I correct? Do not put any premix in the first tank of fuel. The oil can and might hurt the injector spray pattern. Also in a D.I. engine the fuel never reaches the bottom end so you can never premix a D.I. and take off the oil injection. D.I. engines are not bottom feeders(draws fuel from the bottom to the top) and all they do is move air from the bottom to the top(they do carry oil with the air). This is also why you can have a air leak on the bottom end of a D.I. engine and not burn it up!

So long and short of it DO NOT premix. Make sure you bleed your oil pump and that is is set properly(mark on lever is lined up with mark on body at idle) and when you do start it up lift the oil pump lever up at idle to pump oil at a faster rate for a few minutes. This will help the oil to get to the case faster with very little load or rpm on the engine.

Also side note....make sure you torque down the injectors to the correct spec so that you do not ruin your injector spray pattern as well.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Wow, thanks for all the info. This is a 777 virage I engine. I do have some more questions? What is the torque of the injectors? - or where can I find the specs?
    Also, I'm priming my pump with oil - using a drill in reverse & rubber coupler. (I paid nearly $40 for a gal of the synthentic 2 cyl Polaris oil). I have noticed 2 lines pump slower than the other 2. One of the slower lines is the same line going to the cylinder which burnt up (the long line- to the rear cyl). Did someone mix up the lines -meaning one of the 2 slower lines got hookes up to the crank base, rather than the throttle body? The fast lines drip 4 to 1 drips - is this normal, or is my pump frigged?

This is not a new engine. I have a new crank and 1 new piston - that's it. I probably will treat it as if it is new. I don't want to do this again!!

thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Polaris Ficht two cylinder oil pump - hose connections

...I have noticed 2 lines pump slower than the other 2.

One of the slower lines is the same line going to the cylinder which burnt up (the long line- to the rear cyl).

Did someone mix up the lines -meaning one of the 2 slower lines got hooked up to the crank case, rather than the throttle body?

The fast lines drip 4 to 1 drips - is this normal, or is my pump frigged?...
    Here are some photos of the four oil lines on my 2002 Virage i

This is a Ficht fuel injected two cylinder engine, with two oil lines feeding the front and rear crank case bearings, and two oil lines feeding the throttle bodies.

I marked the oil line feeding the front crank bearing with Yellow tape. The oil hose feeding the rear crank case bearing is marked with white tape.

The unmarked hoses feed the throttle bodies.

Note where each oil lines comes off my oil pump, and compare with yours. The oil lines can be hard to follow where they connect to the pump.

Use a mirror if necessary, or just stick your digital camera down there on close-up mode (flower icon), and keep taking pictures until you can see what is what.

I have not flow tested this oil pump, so I cannot say whether two of the four hoses are supposed to flow differently than the other two

While you are checking the oil pump hoses, also check the adjustment of the oil pump cable.

First make sure the THROTTLE cable slack is correctly adjusted. When the throttle lever is squeezed, there should be a small amount of movement before the throttle shaft starts to move.

Then use a small mirror to observe the hash mark on the hub of the oil pump arm, and the matching mark on the body of the oil pump. When the throttle is in the idle position, these two marks should align.

For clarity, I have highlighted the hash marks in Yellow in one photo.

If they do not, loosen the adjusting nuts on the oil pump end of the oil pump cable, and adjust the cable nuts until the marks align. Tighten the nuts, and re-check the marks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4252b.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	190962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4256b.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	190963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4261b.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	190964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4251b.jpg 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	190965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4250b.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	190966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4250c.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	190967  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3798b.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	190976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3802b.jpg 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	190977  

Wow, that's incredibly helpful. I greatly appreciate all your help. Where is a good place to get a new TPS? - I'm ok buying on line
    Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...Where is a good place to get a new TPS? - I'm ok buying on line...
    Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Thread Information