couple questions about a sltx

I know with my gti 2 stroke i would remove the plugs and fire it a few times after riding, then spray a little lube down the cylinders, should i do this on my 1050? it doesnt seem like i have anywhere to ground my plugs like i did on the gti

im in freshwater, lake ontario or the finger lakes. i dont usually flush it since its fresh water just wondering what the practice is, what everone does after removing the ski from fresh water.

thanks

+1
    i live on conesus.. so all i do when im done for the day riding.. i put it on the hoist start it up hit the throttle a little to get the water out shut it down and turn the gas off and cover it..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Fogging the engine for protection from internal rusting after riding, before storage

Quote Originally Posted by absolutesltx View Post
    I know with my GTI 2 stroke i would remove the plugs and fire it a few times after riding, then spray a little lube down the cylinders, should i do this on my 1050?

It doesn't seem like I have anywhere to ground my plugs like i did on the GTI

I'm in freshwater, lake Ontario or the finger lakes.

i don't usually flush it since its fresh water just wondering what the practice is, what everyone does after removing the ski from fresh water.

thanks
    What year is your SLTX?
    Update your Profile with your PWC info

Are you talking about spraying engine fogging oil into the spark plug holes after riding?

Fogging the engine is considered a good practice, especially if the engine will not be run again within the next few days.

While it is considered a good practice, and mandatory for salt water riding, many fresh water owners rarely fog their engines during the riding season.

The primary thing you want to protect by fogging the engine is not the tops of the pistons and cylinders, but the bearings inside the crank case.
    Before fogging the engine, start it up on the trailer, and apply several short, sharp bursts of throttle. The momentary throttle bursts will blow any excess water out of the exhaust water box.

Don't rev the engine wildly, just burp the throttle firmly. You will see the excess water coming out the exhaust. No need to try to get all the water out. It is normal for some water to remain.

Don't run the engine out of the water for more than 10-15 seconds (which is plenty of time to clear the waterbox).
    To fog the engine, you want to spray fogging oil down into the engine air intakes (carburetors) while the engine is idling. The sticky fogging oil coats the internals of the engine, including the critical steel roller bearings in the crank case. The fogging oil will also be carried up through the top end of the engine, protecting the pistons and upper cylinder walls.

Sometimes the engine will die while you are fogging it. That is OK.

After you have fogged the bottom end through the carbs, you can optionally add some more fogging oil through the spark plug holes. This is not really necessary for short term storage, but is a good idea when you are preparing the engine for winter storage.

After spraying a modest amount of oil in each spark plug hole (no need to flood the cylinder with oil), lay a cloth over the top of the end to catch any ejected oil, and bump the starter once or twice. Reinstall and torque the spark plugs.

The engine is now fully fogged and protected against internal rusting.

The above procedure applies to almost all 2-stroke PWC engines. If you check your Sea-Doo GTX manual, I expect their recommended procedure is very similar.

There are fogging oil kits available. They include a small storage tank, and inject fogging oil into the engine through the carburetors. Same result as using the spray oil, just a little easier since all you have to do is pump the knob a few times while running the engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris fogging kit.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	190529  

No usually a few shots of WD40 (which, from a few posts, no one really seems like they're fans of)I would also shoot some throughout the engine bay(I put about 300hours on the machine with no issues til my mpem went and I sold it instead of choosing to winterize it) but on my old seadoo forum, it was recommended. I usually ride every weekend. Once maybe during the week. I'm not sure I'd want to fog after each weekend.

EDIT-I might actually pick up some of this just for good practice,thanks for the quick response

ryandi2- live in Rochester near St John Fisher, usually head out around here, or other side of oswego, sometimes canadaga but I've been out your way for the ring etc, nice lake

my machine is a 97 sltx with about 130hrs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by absolutesltx View Post

ryandi2- live in Rochester near St John Fisher, usually head out around here, or other side of oswego, sometimes canadaga but I've been out your way for the ring etc, nice lake

my machine is a 97 sltx with about 130hrs

nice man pm me when your out this way.. i will be on ontario near point breeze atleast a few times this summer!

i also ride a 97 sltx with 165 hours and a 97 sl1050 with 166.

Thread Information