+1

Way Too much oil

Im trying to get this shit box virage running and I cant because as soon as I crank it over the plugs get coated with oil. Theres oil coming out of the exhaust too. Im sure I can eventually get all of the oil out and get it running but I dont know whats causing it. I thought the oil pump was letting oil leak by but Im not sure. what does the one oil line go to the rear of case for?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    It sounds like there is excess oil sitting in the crank case.

Could the engine have been over fogged when it was winterized?

This sounds like a fuel injected engine. The Ficht two cylinder and MSX 140 three cylinder fuel injected engines have additional oil feeds that lubricate the crank bearings.

Take all the spark plugs out, and crank it with a cloth over the spark plug holes. If it is spewing oil, keep cranking it in short bursts (less than 10 seconds at a time). Let the starter motor cool between cranks.

Keep doing this until the oil spray abates. Recharge the battery as needed to keep it from being discharged.

+1
    Its def not from over fogging. I had this problem last year where I would take it out and it would stall and not start. I held it wide open on land and it smoked like hell and then was fine. The oil is coming from somewhere.there must be a bad seal in the motor or something. is that hose in the back supposed to leak oil out of it all of the time or only when the engine is running?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Its def not from over fogging.

I had this problem last year where I would take it out and it would stall and not start. I held it wide open on land and it smoked like hell and then was fine.

The oil is coming from somewhere. there must be a bad seal in the motor or something.

Is that hose in the back supposed to leak oil out of it all of the time or only when the engine is running?
    These 2-stroke engines do not have an oil reservoir in the crank case like a four stroke engine does.

Normally there is little to no liquid oil inside the crank case.

For oil to accumulate inside the engine, it is either from excess fogging, or the oil injection system is dribbling when the engine is not running.

Each oil injection nipple has an internal check valve, and is supposed to allow flow only when the oil pump has developed a few PSI of pressure.

If one or more of the oil check valves is stuck open, then oil could gravity flow slowly into the engine crank case, and accumulate.

What hose in the back are you asking about?

The exhaust hoses are all supposed to be sealed, with no leakage of exhaust gases or water into the hull.

If the engine is burning excess oil, the exhaust will also be oily. That oil should exit with the exhaust gases at the exhaust exit (which is under the jet pump tunnel on the Virage hull), and not be leaking into the hull.

+1
    I know theres not suposed to be a puddle of oil sitting in the crank case. Thats what Im trying to figure out. How it got there. I was talking about the oil hose that goes to the back of the case. Im thinking it might be going through that hose to lube the back of the motor but it ends up leaking into the case instead. I remember disconnecting the 2 oil lines from the throttle bodies last year and no oil leaked out of them while the engine wasnt running. I've just never had one of these engines apart so I dont know what exactly that larger oil line is going to on the back of the engine

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    ...the oil hose that goes to the back of the case.

I'm thinking it might be going through that hose to lube the back of the motor but it ends up leaking into the case instead.

I remember disconnecting the 2 oil lines from the throttle bodies last year and no oil leaked out of them while the engine wasn't running.

I've just never had one of these engines apart so I don't know what exactly that larger oil line is going to on the back of the engine
    You could try removing the oil check valves from the engine crank case, and confirming they are not stuck open.

Item 27 7051020 Valve, Check

As far as I know (and I also have not taken one of these two cylinder Virage i engines apart), there is just an internal passage from the check valve to the rear crank roller bearing.

These fittings are fairly low in relation to the oil tank, so I suppose it is possible for gravity to dribble into the engine if the check valve was stuck open.

Another possibility is that the oil tank is building up air pressure from the heat of the sun, and is forcing oil through the system into the engine.

You could replace the air vent valve on the oil tank, just in case it is stuck shut. Item 21 in the oil tank diagram.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7138%5C7138C03.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	190548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7138%5C7138A12.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	190549  

+1
    Thanks for your help. I almost had it running but the battery died again. Once the rpms kick up the oil chokes out the motor. It was smoking like crazy too and theres oil all over the outside of the pump. Ill replace those check valves and check the vent. I hope it blows up after this cause Im sick of fixing it ha ha

Thread Information