Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

question about maintaing a sl750

Hey guys wanted to say hi, Im new to the forum and had a couple questions. I did a search and didnt really find what I was looking for. I have two 1994 SL750's. I have read alot on here about the maintence that goes into these machines so i wanna give them both a tune up before I start riding them this year. I do have a compression tester and all the tools necessary to work on them. I am a collision repair technician so I work on cars all the time but am new to the two cycle engine world. So im looking for a list of parts to buy to start with such as a new fuel pump, fuel lines, carb rebuild kits and anything else the experts recomend. Any part numbers and a good vendor to buy this stuff from would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Jason

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Welcome...there is a great link in my sig that will answer a lot of questions.

Parts Source

John Zigler over at Rock County Jet Ski is always a good parts source for the older polaris machines.

Thanks guys for responding. I am ready to get these things in the water. I did a compression test tonight and had 130 on all cylinders. Does that sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by Payton820 View Post
    Thanks guys for responding. I am ready to get these things in the water. I did a compression test tonight and had 130 on all cylinders. Does that sound about right?
    Sounds great! 130 on all cylinders is about perfect! Especially if all three are the exact same. Have you upgraded the fuel systems yet?

+1
    Check your gas cap on the tank itself for cracks. they have updates for aluminum caps to prevent that from happening. any air leak in the system can cause big problems quickly. replace all your fuel lines, youll need uscg approved hose. use otiker clamps if possible/

buy a triple outlet fuel pump they are 30.00 at a powersports place near you.. use beerdarts drawing of the routing of the triple pump. watch out for the little tie wrap on the return line, that is your restrictor to boost fuel pressure, with out, your ski wont run. its a tiny litlle brass piece in the line right off the end of the carb rail.

throw out the suto cock.. the little blue thing that looks like a smallfuel pump. its not necessary. check your pick ups in the tank and look at the lines and look for screens on them they should be new lines that arent bent while installed. 1 will be your main, and the other will be your reserve line. the longer is the reserve.

check water seperator screw on black ring. they crack and could let air in.

sounds like its running ood so do all this now before summer and youll be bullet proog for the summer.

buy geniune mukini rebuild kits. complete with diaphrams, gaskets , needle and seat, 129.99 each for 3 kits/

No not yet hoping to order parts tuesday.

At least your compression checks out okay. That's a good thing.

Yea I was happy to see that. Last time I had it out it ran a little funny acted like it was starving for fuel at wot. Then I start reading all of this info on here about the 650's and 750's needing more pump and making sure the fuel system is in good working order or you can hurt it quickly. So i thought well the machines are 15 years old its gotta be time to go through them!

can you tell me more about the crank indexing procedure? For one how does it get out of index? I read a post about the procedure and it made it sound like all 3 pistons would be at the top of the bore at the same time, but that didnt really sound right to me but as said before im new to the 2 cycle game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information