Banned User

Older Speedster twin 800/swapped to 215's

Hey guys I am looking at getting a older speedster with twin 800s in it. One of the motors is blown and the other runs just ok, but the boat is in nice shape and the price is right at 600 bucks for it and trailer. My real question is has anyone ever looked at putting 4tec 215s in one and making a killer 15 footer?????

+1
    I dont remember them ever making a 15 footer with twin 800's...the Speedster with the 800's was an 18 footer....

You would have a ton of money wrapped up in that project....You would have to find 2 4tecs to use, all the elcetronics, pumps, fuel tank and pumps.....fiberglass to mock up new engine mounts.

Would be a fun boat but not sure if the headache is worth the money

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

likey airborne

sticking some 4-tecs in there would make the baot so but heavy you'd go airborne..if you didn't get over the other various issues you'd have making such a conversion. fix this boat up sell it and pu the money into another project.

Maybe a 4-tec in a single engine boat would make more sense.

After checking into the pric of outboad motors, I'd sure like to stick a 787 in my pontoon boat..anybody got ideas?

Banned User
    i already have all the stuff to do it minus the boat which i can get this week for 600 bucks. Sorry the motors in it are 717's well 720s but whatever. I am putting VTS setups on it as well!

+1
    Theres not enough room... Working on the 800's is somewhat tight. Custom driveshafts and transome plates.. Pump tunnels are small.. Lots of things to work out.. Lots of money...

Raining on your parade...

Hate to rain on you but 720 motors are pretty cheap to rebuild. Even a longblock would be cheaper than all the custom fitting and modifications you'd have to make and it would be alot faster to get done.

Speedsters with the twin 2-strokes fly!

i think it will be cool,the worst thing will be the fiberglass tunnel but if you have 2 old doo take the piece of the hull and bonded it to the boat,that the way i will do it.

I agree if it is one of the older speedsters that has the one tunnel intake supplying both pumps there is no way you would get enough water for those 215hp. I do think they did start having a separate intake for each pump for the 720 models. Good luck sounds cool.

I am considering the same swap on my challenger 1800 (twin 800's). I can do all my own fab work & engine electronics, but still seems more expensive than finding a newer twin 4tec'ed boat (I'm personally looking at 205 utopias to make the wife happy).

how much heavier is a fully dressed 4tec compared to the 2stroke with it's expansion chamber, etc?

Thread Information