What do you guys use to enlarge a hole...

What do you guys use to enlarge an exsisting hole, like from 6mm to 12mm?

I think a regular drill bit will wander and chip the gel coat, anyone have any ideas?...Thanks...PR...

+1
    12mm drill bit w/ drill in reverse (at least till you get down a good way past the gelcoat) would be my choice.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    with tape all around the hole to help the gelcote from flaking up maybe? i usually put tape in the area i'm drilling whe it comes to painted surfaces, formica, gelcote, etc

I usually put clear shipping type tape over the hole, but even that doesn`t prevent chipping I have found. This would be pretty much a perfect fit type of deal where I need precision and no slop. Maybe I have to Fab up a jig or something. I would consider clamping a piece of metal or wood over the area, but in this case, that wouldn`t work out...thanks...PR...

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Go get yourself a Uni-bit PR

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime
    Go get yourself a Uni-bit PR
    I have a very good uni-bit, but the hull is atleast 1/2 thick, and the uni-bit works best in 1/8 or thinner materials. I would be into the next size before the hole is drilled with the correct size on one side!...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    I usually put clear shipping type tape over the hole, but even that doesn`t prevent chipping I have found. This would be pretty much a perfect fit type of deal where I need precision and no slop. Maybe I have to Fab up a jig or something. I would consider clamping a piece of metal or wood over the area, but in this case, that wouldn`t work out...thanks...PR...
    PR, one thought, use a brad point bit for wood to start the hole and cut through the gel coat but not al the way through, then switch to a smaller regular bit or dremel to round out the hole. The brad point bit should cut a clean circle through the gel coat...maybe try on an out of the way place first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2531-2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	8608  

chamfer the hole with a rotary file that has a rounded end or a grinding stone of some type to a size just a bit larger than the hole you are going to drill. Use a drill bit for metal not wood as they usually have less of a gap between the cutting edges.

+1
    Use the uni bit until you get to the correct size step then switch to a regular bit. If you can get to the other side drill out with the uni bit. If theres anything left in the middle just use a file or dremel tool.

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX
    chamfer the hole with a rotary file that has a rounded end or a grinding stone of some type to a size just a bit larger than the hole you are going to drill. Use a drill bit for metal not wood as they usually have less of a gap between the cutting edges.
    One of my thoughts exactly, countersink or chamfer the hole to the point where the drill bit will just enlarge the hole, we`ll come up with something...PR...

Thread Information