+1

Drain Plug Placement---'94 SLT750

So this weekend I'm hoping to completely tackle my both of my skis: '96 SLT780 and a '94 SLT750.

I have purchased new captive style drain plugs for both skis. Currently the 780 has a single hole on the port side of the stern. I'm planning to cut a second hole on the starboard side so the hull can completely drain.

The '94 SLT750 is a little different. The only drain hole on this ski is on the port side, inside the tunnel above the ride plate. If I were to install the captive plug in that location, it would be a real knuckle buster trying to thread and unthread the plug. The starboard side is nearly impossible due to the cooling and siphon fittings on the side of the pump.

So, do you guys think it's okay to relocated the holes to the stern so I can install the captive plugs? I was planning to use some fiberglass cloth and epoxy to seal over the OEM drain hole from the inside. Then I I'm going to cut bits of cloth the shape of the hole and fill it with Marine Epoxy Paste.

KJ

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Pics....post some pics so we can see what you mean. I like the idea of the captive plug. Nothing to leave at home or drop into the lake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    Pics....post some pics so we can see what you mean.
    Yeah, I know. The problem is I'm at work and haven't taken pics of the location yet. I'll do that this evening and post them to the thread. I was hoping maybe some folks were familiar with this hull.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You should be OK.

Just look before you go drilling. And do a small pilot bit first, just to make sure nothing is there.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    ...The only drain hole on this ski is on the port side, inside the tunnel above the ride plate.

...I was planning to use some fiberglass cloth and epoxy to seal over the OEM drain hole from the inside. Then I I'm going to cut bits of cloth the shape of the hole and fill it with Marine Epoxy Paste.

KJ
    I would just install an extra captive drain plug in that spot, and leave it closed all the time.

Remove the jet pump to give you some working room. Once you get it installed and sealed to the hull, screw the captive cap in, and leave it there.

Create a new drain hole where you would prefer it. Take the time to carefully scope out where it needs to end up inside the hull, and drill a small pilot hole to confirm you have the right spot.

Thread Information