Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown trouble code 2003 R12x

First off, I'm new here and want to say thanks everyone for the info I've found that made me decide to get a used '03 R12X. For the first 12 hours I've owned it it's been a real pleasure!

The other day I had been riding for 2+ hours of almost nonstop moderate/hard use. Out of nowhere my ski went into a protect mode... had the beeper and warning light flashing, with a rev limiter set at around 3,000rpm.

It kept coming up every time I started it, until I let it cool off for about a half an hour... Then it ran fine for another 10 minutes or so and started all over again. When it was running it kept hesitating and sputtering, it felt kind of like cavitation but I'm pretty sure that's not my problem. The sputtering was very intermittent, and if I tweaked the throttle just right it'd go away and I could get the ski up on plane. If I went WOT too fast the motor would stall. I could only get it up into the low 50's for speed, as to where I usually get into the 60's no problem. At the time I was unaware of how to check the fault code, and I've looked up the instructions to pull it from memory but nothing is coming up when I follow the instructions.

I took it for a ride today, first time since the problem, to see if I could replicate the results. It ran strong, pulled hard right up to 64mph. No hesitation, no sputtering, no warning light.

I guess what I'm asking is, since I can't pull the FI code again and I can't get it to start acting up... what does that sound characteristic of? I ordered spark plugs today and they'll be in tomorrow... but would fouled plugs make it act up like that just when the engine is hot? I never threw any kind of overheat warnings or anything like that. The oil is 15 hours old and at the proper level. The first tank of gas I ran thru it was about a year old, then two tanks of sunoco 93, and this is my first tank of marine fuel I got near my dock... but I'm kind of ruling out the fuel as the problem because it ran fine for the first 1/2 of that tank.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help. I'm paranoid to run it because what was going on before wasn't good... I don't want to do any more damage to my motor than I already might have.

+1
    Probably be worthwhile to try and check for any stored codes in the ECM. Use the search to find out how to pull/read the codes.

Alright, after an hour of riding it came back. It's a continuous, non stop long flash with a 3,000rpm limiter. I counted 20+ of them before I stopped.

Today I replaced the spark plugs, and the warning light/fault code is gone, however, I still get the extreme cavitation like vibration and loss of power. This only happens after a few full throttle runs and, just found out today, it subsides if I stop, put the ski in reverse and give it some throttle, then put it back into forward and go.

There is nothing blocking the impeller pump. I checked three times, and had two third parties (both with jet ski experience) check as well.

I know I'm close to figuring this out... has anybody had a similar experience?

+1
    code list is on not on here but stoppin' at 20 aint gonna get it.

you can goto pwctoday honda section and there is a sticky at the top with the code listing. i hate pwctoday but whadda ya gonna do.

same problem

wow it seems we have a similar problem, mine will run fine like yours for around the first 30 min of the day, then the dreaded FI beep and flash and limited rpms. When I tried to run the code it appeared to be two long flashes followed by 5 short ones ( I have no idea if this is 7 or 25) Last weekend no problems, this weekend problems. I really like this ski but I want to get it running reliably or out the door it goes.

Bryan
    03 r12x 80hrs

Quote Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
    code list is on not on here but stoppin' at 20 aint gonna get it.

you can goto pwctoday honda section and there is a sticky at the top with the code listing. i hate pwctoday but whadda ya gonna do.
    It took me close to 30 minutes to limp the ski back to my dock, and the entire time it was continuously blinking and beeping. I stopped counting because I knew it wasn't giving me a code for a number (ie: 3 long and 5 short means 35) it was literally non stop flashing long flashes.

I hope this clarifies... if I can't figure it out on my own I'm going to take it to a stealership. I hope it doesn't come to that!

Quote Originally Posted by twok2lcdcnc View Post
    It took me close to 30 minutes to limp the ski back to my dock, and the entire time it was continuously blinking and beeping. I stopped counting because I knew it wasn't giving me a code for a number (ie: 3 long and 5 short means 35) it was literally non stop flashing long flashes.

I hope this clarifies... if I can't figure it out on my own I'm going to take it to a stealership. I hope it doesn't come to that!
    BUMP......anyone ever figure this out. I have same problem (I think) as this.

+1
    First things first

Can you guys clarify what procedure you're using to extract the fault codes?

Quote Originally Posted by koumiss45 View Post
    wow it seems we have a similar problem, mine will run fine like yours for around the first 30 min of the day, then the dreaded FI beep and flash and limited rpms. When I tried to run the code it appeared to be two long flashes followed by 5 short ones ( I have no idea if this is 7 or 25) Last weekend no problems, this weekend problems. I really like this ski but I want to get it running reliably or out the door it goes.

Bryan
    03 r12x 80hrs
    That's 25, 1 long flash equals 10, 1 short flash equals 1, code 25 is knock sensor malfunction, a VERY common problem. Currently dealing with that also... Prepare yourself, you may be in for a new ecu....

Quote Originally Posted by energysolutions View Post
    First things first

Can you guys clarify what procedure you're using to extract the fault codes?
    Silence the code first, hold mode for 2 seconds, I can't remember the order of the buttons, but then hold the top two for 5 seconds together, it will stop flashing for about 2 seconds and then start with your code, again, 1 long is equal to 10, I believe it stays one for 1.5 seconds, and then the short ones are equal to 1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information